Sign In   Register

Topic

Pairing New Fob 4 years 2 months ago #192366

When I was working at Longbridge the rolling code was seen as a security feature to prevent scanners getting the code. They also shortened the distance the FOBs worked to help prevent scanners picking up the codes from a distance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper, Jon-Mini

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Pairing New Fob 4 years 1 month ago #192437

The rolling code is more secure, certainly it was a step-up from the previous system where each fob had a fixed ID and the system shared a synchronised clock.
I suppose the earlier system having been designed in the 80's-90's used the best technology at the time.

Unfortunately the Pektron system only partially used the full ability of the Philips chipset, not having the ability to reset the rolling code system
renders the fobs useless if they lose sync with the SCU and this became a major point of failure.

Hindsight and all that........ !
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars, sworkscooper, Jon-Mini

Pairing New Fob 4 years 1 month ago #192445

• VVC160
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • Van (not yet a camper) driver nowadays
(Having locked my original keys in the boot..)
Break one rear lights plastic assy..............

Pairing New Fob 4 years 1 month ago #192446

I did the same thing with my Jag XJ a few years ago. I used the remote to pop the boot open, threw my coat and bag in the boot and closed it, then had no key to open anything as they were in the boot.

My old Peugeot 607 had a button on the fob to pop the boot open, but much more sensibly on that car opening the boot would also unlock the doors aswell.

Fortunately with the Jag I had a spare key at home and so I got someone to give me a lift home, picked up my mum's car and went to get her from the airport (she had been their over two hours at this point) and got her to take me to work the next day to pick up the car.

I now have a solution to this. I got the smallest key blade that I could find and had it cut to the cars locks. It doesn't have the electronics in it to un-immobilise the car so it won't start it, but it's small enough to go in my wallet which I am very unlikely to throw in the boot and it will mechanically open the boot so that I can retrieve the real key if it ends up in there.

I don't know enough about MGFs to know if that would work but my understanding from a quick google is that there is an external lock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Pairing New Fob 4 years 1 month ago #192458

…..I don't know enough about MGFs to know if that would work but my understanding from a quick google is that there is an external lock.

The MGF/TF boot only has an external lock. It is not connected to the central locking at all. The only way to get into the boot is using the key. Also the boot is either closed and locked or open and unlocked.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Pairing New Fob 3 years 11 months ago #192972

As my daily user isn't in use at the moment I was going to have a go at pairing the fob now rather than wait for the summer. One question I have, in order to just add a new fob do you have to go through the process with the existing fob or can I skip that process and just go to the add button?

Pairing New Fob 3 years 11 months ago #192977

With Lucas 5AS the process of pairing a fob delates existing fobs so you do have to pair all fobs you want to use.
To be fair it doesn't take long so there is no hardship to this.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

Pairing New Fob 3 years 11 months ago #192979

It depends whether it's Pektron or 5AS. They are completely different processes.
However in both cases you are going to need both fobs present anyway, but for different reasons.

Pairing New Fob 3 years 11 months ago #192985

It's the pektron. If I have the original and the new one to be added in the car, I have to re enter the existing and this is wiped during the process, pressing locking and unlocking the buttons. (the new one isn't wiped by it being in the car) I then have to select the add new fob and enter the 22 digit code. Is this correct?

Pairing New Fob 3 years 11 months ago #192986

From memory ( I haven't done this for a while ) fobs are disabled until the buttons are pressed.
They aren't exactly "wiped" because you don't have to put the 22 digit code again, so they are still in the Pektron memory, it's just that they are temporarily disabled.
If you follow the onscreen instructions then it will work.
Do make sure that you know the EKA and prove that it works first. If something goes wrong then that's your safety net to get back in and fix it.

I recently bought a Rover 25 that only has one fob. I think I will have to get a fob and add it in whilst videoing the process.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Nik P

Pairing New Fob 3 years 11 months ago #193003

It is as described on screen.
The activation process de-activated any fobs not present at the time.
They are not removed from memory so you don't need a 22 digit code to re-activate them.
You only need a 22 digit bar code for a new fob that the car hasn't seen before.

Pairing New Fob 3 years 10 months ago #193209

Hi,
As suggested I have followed the instructions. EXISTING FOB, HORN SOUNDS, ADD FOB....A message appears saying add 21 digit code and last digit will be generated check last digit is correct.

The screen appears as attached. There are two buttons on it that appear to be a zero, the other N. If I have the 22 digit code correct it starts with at C66382 etc not zero or N

So faced with no other clues I can click zero or N and a square of buttons appear ( What is zero or N option?) do I delete and type in the 21 digits or leave the zero or N at the start?

I can also click in the message square and type in the code....there is nothing to suggest this is correct?

Attachments:

Moderators: pscan.uk
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT