• Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
I too have a Ford Fairlane, it's a bit more modern though :lol:

It's a 1989, I've had a few over the years including: '69 '76 and '82 models
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: TaffMGF

Please Log in to join the conversation.

My other cars are 9 years 1 month ago #156560

Wouldn't have thought that the cost of importing the Fairline was practical, seeing its condition :nonod:
A good clean would help!
On the other hand the MG looks a good buy.

I paid $3000 for the car and it cost about another £1100 to import it. According to the DVLA, there aren't any others in the country, though that's not strictly accurate. I know of a couple, but they were probably registerd slightly incorrectly (as just Fairlanes or Galaxies, for example, rather than giving them their full title). It's an odd spec, being a two door post with the 292 Y-block in it and also being just one colour (US colour schemes at the time were usually two-tone at very least)
Despite appreances in those photo's, it's a good solid dry-state car (with the exception on that one remaining wheel arch) but the repair panel for the rear wheel arch could pay for 2 VVCs, so it will have to wait while I save up. The surface rust will all come off failt easily come the respray (which won't be until the summer 2016, if I've still got it - I'm aiming to have it at some shows this summer, so it will look like that)
Classic yank ownership is an odd thing, very emotive. People tend to buy what they like, rather than buying what's viable. I ran a '52 Cadilac as a daily for about 6 months one summer, 12mpg was painful but I always looked good getting there. Prior to the Galaxie, I had a number of 40's and early 50's cars and felt the time was right for some chrome & fins for a change. I mentioned this to a few mates in the States and they came up with this one. One family from new, details of the original sale (the dealership that supplied it still exists) and it was serviced regularly until 1973 when it broke down and was left beside the barn until 2010 when I got it.
The VVC on the other hand, didn't have a scrap of paper with when I got it, and shows signs of neglect, hence the low price I suppose. It's very much a 25-yard car, up close it looks like it's been cleaned with garden rake and no amount of colour match is going to fill the deep scratches! It's booked in for it's MoT on friday, lets see if I'm still so upbeat on saturday morning! Still, it's a right laugh to drive and, like the big Ford, it has got under my skin.
I don't really fancy painting either of them though!

My other cars are 8 years 3 months ago #164029

My wife is laid up with a broken foot and unable to drive so I have taken advantage of the situation to give the MGF some time away from the
winter weather and have been driving her PT Cruiser to work.

The thing is a dog, but at least it has a good heater! :hgf:

On the negative side I have found it needs lower A-arms so that is a job for me in the spring. :slapme:

Last edit: Post by Rich in Vancouver.

My other cars are 8 years 3 months ago #164030

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

have been driving her PT Cruiser to work.

The thing is a dog

Now now...............there is no reason to insult man's best friend by likening their ilk to such a bloody dreadful thing as a PT Cruiser! :lol:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

My other cars are 8 years 3 months ago #164032

Have you investigated the poor heater, Rich?

Normally you could cook Christmas dinner with them! :omg:
David
:shrug:

My other cars are 8 years 3 months ago #164033

I bought this little Cooper off flea bay a month or so ago, it had a few issues like a blown gearbox and some electronic/electrical issues.

The gearbox is an MG/Rover RG1 which apart from the final drive ratio and no speedo drive is the same as a PG1 so the gearbox was an easy repair.

On the other hand the electronic/electrical issues were a tad more difficult to sort, I had to buy a BMW bespoke scanner and transducer EEPROM writer (same keys and immobiliser system as a Rover 75 and MG ZT)

We have just got back to Cornwall having been up country for Xmas using the little Cooper, we did a total of 1,100 miles and she ran like a dream.

Once you unbolt and take the front of the car off the gearbox is a doddle to remove.

As you can see above the crown wheel has spun on the diff housing, apparently a common failure on the BMW minis with the Rover 5 speed gearbox. The crown wheel is a shrink fit on the diff housing (like fitting a starter ring gear on a flywheel)
Attachments:

My other cars are 8 years 3 months ago #164102

• Visitor
  • Visitor

This is my other car. Owned for two years now and worth every penny........ :broon:
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by .

My other cars are 8 years 3 months ago #164107

This is our doughter's Opel (Vauxhall) Calibra, a 1994 registered car which has covered about 140.000km. We gave it to her as a welcome present when she came home from Australia in April last year.
First she didn't want to drive her, but in the meantime she does love her.
Very economical to drive and the maximum speed with only 115 PS is the same as our TF 135. And a very cool sunroof!

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by c.steffan.

My other cars are 8 years 3 months ago #164122

... and our family car:

Pictures token today in the afternoon. You can see the German winter ;)
No sunshine the last week, which gave me the chance to remove the TF's front bumper for repairing a crack in it. Also I need to search for a coolant leak somewhere at the left frontside (radiator? hose?).
Regards
Christof
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by c.steffan.

My other cars are 8 years 3 months ago #164124

Check the plastic filler cap on the radiator. Top left. :dry:
David
:shrug:

My other cars are 8 years 3 months ago #164132

Thank you, David, but was replaced years ago by a solid metal screw.
I'll have to start the engine and let it run for a while until it drops. Maybe tomorrow in the afternoon.

My other cars are 8 years 3 months ago #164181

Mine's a VW Amarock twin turbo 180 brake 8 speed DSG box, and I love it :bust:

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.297 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT