Sign In   Register

Topic

Budget UK conversion 4 months 1 week ago #195946

Hi All,

I've posted some of this on the MGF register forum and the more detailed build thread is on the Open Inverter Forums. But I was just told about this section and it looks like more conversion projects wouldn't hurt.

This project started unofficially 2 years ago when I bought this car by accident on Ebay. It didn't make what I was expecting so my cheeky low bid ended up being enough. The next year was half spent in a shed being ignored, and half spent changing the HG only for the clutch to start slipping about 3 weeks after. Around this time last year there were some pretty big advances made over the in Open Inverter forums on hacking into hybrid components. Specifically for this project it was discovered that prius inverters are actually pretty capable power units.
So I made the decision since I was going to have to drop the rear subframe to change the clutch I might as well change the engine as well. In hindsight, would have been way easier to just change the clutch!

Main components and specs
Mitsubishi Outlander Phev rear motor. 70kW peak, about 30kW continuous rating. 190nm of torque
Prius Gen 2 inverter, with inbuilt dc-dc converter and the potential to use the hybrid charging side to charge the battery pack.
Kokam 53Ah pouch cells in an 80s1p config. 15.6kWh capacity.
Using the original gearbox.

Total cost of the project so far is just over £5,000. However I spent £3k of that on 180 pouch cells of which I will only use 80. I've sold off 20 at a reasonable profit already. So I expect the sale of spare cells to knock off a decent chunk of that £5,000. Right now I have every major component bar of the EV conversion purchased(bar Open Inverter BMS). None electric wise I do intend to get the hydragas spheres refurbed and buy some new dampers. Apart from that I expect no more major costs.

I currently have the rear subframe mostly complete. This is an older photo taken before I finished the brackets and coolant system install. The current task is striping and repainting the front subframe and then working on the battery box.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: psymon, mowog73, Bertl, sworkscooper

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Budget UK conversion 4 months 1 week ago #195961

Hi and welcome to the forum

Looking at that motor something like it might be the solution to my hybrid plan. Do you have any other photos of it in the subframe.

James

Home to black MGZS180, yellow MGZS180, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Budget UK conversion 4 months 1 week ago #195962

For those who are interested this is a link to LRBen thread on the open inverter forum
https://openinverter.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=181

Home to black MGZS180, yellow MGZS180, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

Budget UK conversion 4 months 1 week ago #196003

Thanks for sharing. I find this very interesting and ponder doing this to my F in the years to come.
Mark
95 MGF

Budget UK conversion 4 months 1 week ago #196016

Here are a couple more at different stages of installation.

Thinking about the hybrid idea for an MG F, you could use the entire rear motor and differential from an Outlander Phev. One of the reasons I didn't use the differential was that in the Outlander the motor hangs rearward of the differential, so in the MG I would have had to install in backwards.

If you were to put this in the front subframe then the weight would be towards the middle of the car rather than hanging off the end. Assuming there is space for it. Space would still be a bit issue in order to fit in batteries and the inverter. Another alternative could be a tesla small drive, those have the inverters built in which saves some space. Would just need to find space for batteries then.

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by psymon. Reason: Fix Image

Budget UK conversion 4 months 1 week ago #196017

Thanks for sharing. I find this very interesting and ponder doing this to my F in the years to come.

I was initially attempting to make this almost a bolt in conversion. I do have some spare adaptor plates and the CAD designs to do more. It's just a shame that I had to cut the spare tire compartment for the batteries. In the future I think that it will be possible to fit enough batteries in the fuel tank area for decent range. In which case it will become a fully bolt in reversible conversion.

Budget UK conversion 3 months 2 weeks ago #196217

Been working on the battery box in recent weeks. Front subframe was removed and stripped for cleaning. Made up this tray to hold the box from 40mm x 3mm angle steel. The plan is now to build up the box with 1.6mm sheet steel and use clear perspex as a cover.

BMS plans have been delayed by the worldwide chip shortages. But that doesn't stop me from finishing the rear subframe and starting on all the wiring. I can also complete the front subframe restoration.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Fisher

Budget UK conversion 3 months 2 weeks ago #196292

That works, and has the bonus of strengthening up the subframe.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds
© 2021 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved.