Sign In   Register

Topic

FRONT BRAKES 2 weeks 3 days ago #206509

Morning thanks for the excelent advice Len

Please Log in to join the conversation.

FRONT BRAKES 2 weeks 3 days ago #206512

Morning I managed with some difficulty to remove the flexi hose ,thinking it was blocked .However blowing through it the hose seems quite clear .Ive sealed the master cylinder reservoir with cling film to stop it leaking.The next job is to see if fluid pours out of the brake pipe,when I remove the seal Ive always found this happens when the flexi is disconnected .The master cylinder looks quite new .We have a visitor so on hold Len
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

FRONT BRAKES 2 weeks 3 days ago #206513

Continuing now the visitor has gone ,back to the car .Ive removed the clingfilm seal and now even when I depress the brake pedal nothing comes out of the brake pipe .It seems to point to the master cylinder but it looks new . Any suggestions besides pulling the bloody trigger !!!! Len

FRONT BRAKES 2 weeks 3 days ago #206514

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
If the master cyl reservoir was empty, sometimes it difficult to get things pumping again, the best way is to pressure bleed it, but this requires special equipment, there is however another way………..it’s messy but I’ve had some success with removing the brake pipes from the master cyl and whilst using your finger as a valve over the outlet port in the cylinder and getting you glamorous assistant to push the pedal the trick is to close off the port with you finger when they release the pedal and letting some fluid out as the pedal is being pressed.
Once the fluid strats moving you reconnect the brake pipes and go back to normal bleeding.
Have plenty of water on hand to wash away any spilt fluid.
Sometimes it’s the only way to get the fluid pumping if there is too much air in the system to bleed it at the wheels.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

FRONT BRAKES 2 weeks 3 days ago #206517

Morning I managed with some difficulty to remove the flexi hose ,thinking it was blocked .However blowing through it the hose seems quite clear .Ive sealed the master cylinder reservoir with cling film to stop it leaking.The next job is to see if fluid pours out of the brake pipe,when I remove the seal Ive always found this happens when the flexi is disconnected .The master cylinder looks quite new .We have a visitor so on hold Len

I don't think I'm wrong.

Isn't that master cylinder with the cling film under the cap the CLUTCH master cylinder?... The brake master cylinder has a level switch on the cap; it does on mine, at least.

FRONT BRAKES 2 weeks 3 days ago #206518

I would second that thought Bruce. Just come in for a brew & was catching up, when the thought wizzed past the active part of my brain. “Why has he taken the bonnet back cover off & why is the clutch wrapped up like a sandwich, if it’s brakes that are being worked on?”
Wrong colour even in monochrome. That’s worth investing, you might have found the problem. Or to be more precise Bruce has found your problem.
M

FRONT BRAKES 2 weeks 3 days ago #206519

Sorry made a real prat of myself looking at the wrong master cylinder Good job there is a forum to correct stupid mistakes Len
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

FRONT BRAKES 2 weeks 3 days ago #206528

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
I clearly didn’t look closely enough to the pics when I did the edit and took the pics from attachments and placed them into the body of the post otherwise I should’ve noticed that!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

FRONT BRAKES 2 weeks 2 days ago #206531

Sorry made a real prat of myself looking at the wrong master cylinder Good job there is a forum to correct stupid mistakes Len

Always remember that the person who never made a mistake never made anything

FRONT BRAKES 2 weeks 2 days ago #206533

I had most of the front covered with a blanket id left there .So just assumed the clutch filler was the brake ,without looking .But its a mistake I wont make again Len

FRONT BRAKES 2 weeks 2 days ago #206538

Never let a minor goof sink in to your psyche, that will ultimately prevent progress, let it seep out. Do that & the little that is left, as you let it go, will help guide you in future.
M

FRONT BRAKES 2 weeks 2 days ago #206540

It's not often that I can contribute something useful on this great forum. Glad to be able to help in some small way.

It still doesn't explain why you can't bleed your brakes, though.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT