Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Car unsettled over bumps / which bushes 3 months 3 weeks ago #205343

<I have searched the forum before posting this>

My car gets unsettled over bumps, particularly if I cross the centre line or move between lanes.

Car is a 97, the right Yokohama Advans on the front, previous owner fitted Rotalla's to the rear just before I bought the car :( I had the tracking checked recently and had it set to the compromise values suggested in the table at the bottom here: http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/suspension/tracking.htm It's only done 43k miles, it is entirely possible it's never had new bushes.

My thinking would be the next thing to look at would be the rear lower arm bushes, thoughts please?

On the subject of bushes there are clearly lots of vendors out there. On other cars I have previous good experience with PolyBush and PowerFlex. I'm keen to not make the ride any firmer. On my Sprite I used PolyBush blue and was very pleased with the results but they don't do a blue version of the F bushes. I'd value opinions on the best bushes for a good ride.

Many thanks in anticipation

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Car unsettled over bumps / which bushes 3 months 3 weeks ago #205345

I would change all four tyres for Toyo or Falken before anything, re-check all four corners tracking and try again, if the tyres are not xl side wall that can explain a lot.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Re:Car unsettled over bumps / which bushes 3 months 3 weeks ago #205347

I would agree with Steve on the tyres, not too long ago there were a number of suitable replacements in our sizes, I used Avon for as long as I could get them, now there seems only the two which are applicable. Stiff tyre wall, stable car.
The cars have found more of a following recently, however several years ago one company feared they would be left with a stock of polyurethane bushes for the f, so they had a sale.
I jumped at the chance of a discounted bush set, changing all over a weekend. There was an improvement but not as significant as I was hoping for, which speaks volumes for the bogo bushes I chucked away.
M

Car unsettled over bumps / which bushes 3 months 3 weeks ago #205348

Thanks chaps, are the Yokohama Advan Fleva V701 not a suitable tyre too? I read plenty of places that they were, having been developed specifically for the MR2.

Re:Car unsettled over bumps / which bushes 3 months 3 weeks ago #205354

Thanks chaps, are the Yokohama Advan Fleva V701 not a suitable tyre too? I read plenty of places that they were, having been developed specifically for the MR2.

Im not saying they are not suitable as I don't know, nor am Ia tyre expert, however MG Motors hsve made a statement that the only two tyre manufacturers they recommend are Toyo for their T* range or Falken Z* range, although both have been superseeded now but remain the go to tyres by pretty much all the F/TF owners that I know from the two clubs I belong to, I myself use Toyo Tr1 or T1r cant remember which one is the newest version but over the last 10 years I have not had any issues in "normal driving" although I have been known to push on shall we say ;-)
As long as you ensure the side walls are XL especially on the back, and have four wheel alignment (tracking) correct tyre pressure, you have a solid base to start on any further handling issues, my F is 23 years old 90k moles and still on original bushes and no handling issues, for what its worth TF are known to be very sensitive to tyres far more than the F. Good luck with sorting your issues.

Re:Car unsettled over bumps / which bushes 3 months 3 weeks ago #205355

I think a great proportion of your 90k moles are in my back garden. If you have no issues with handling 90k moles would you pop round & wrangle some of those, which are obviously yours & take them back please. My dog will help & there’s no end of tea.
M

Re:Car unsettled over bumps / which bushes 3 months 3 weeks ago #205356

Ha ha comical typo, actually I have a problem with Badgers so no Moles here, maybe I could send some your way.:-)

Re:Car unsettled over bumps / which bushes 3 months 3 weeks ago #205357

If your badgers will displace my moles & you can work out a suitable exchange rate we can talk.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT