Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGTF Wheel stud thread lube ~ or not 4 months 3 weeks ago #205031

I am certain this is going to prompt some debate. It is a fact that copperslip reduces friction between a nut and bolt.
Wheels are clamped in place by nuts tightening down on the studs.
Many will say that the associated threads should not be greased with any lubricant as the applied tension (not torque) will be greater if the studs are lubricated due to a lower friction. The given reason for not greasing the threads is that OEM do not use lubricant and calculate the applied required torque on dry threads taking into account the typical friction between a dry nut and bolt.
I have searched on this forum for this topic but cant see any reference to this subject.
I have glanced through the WSM but have yet to find a definitive answer.
Does anyone know what is standard practice for the MGTF please?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MGTF Wheel stud thread lube ~ or not 4 months 3 weeks ago #205032

I use antiseize on wheel studs, don’t get too hung up on torque settings, yes you can use a torque wrench to achieve a specific tension…….but unless it’s in calibration then it is unlikely to be accurate. That’s not to say a torque wrench is of no value, they are useful in applying a consistent tension amongst a group of fasteners, and even getting pretty close to a given specification.
It’s just when comparing torque wrenches that are out of calibration is like comparing apples and oranges…. Two seemingly identical torque wrenches can give different readings.

So don’t worry about spitting hairs over exact figures, you’ll find that in most cases near enough is good enough, the trick is to apply equal tension.

If you were to keep your torque wrenches in calibration you would either need to send them away to get them calibrated at least ever 6 mths, better still every 3 mths, or get a calibration test gauge to test your own, like I have , for the small in/lb stuff. Even then you still have to get it’s calibrated on a regular basis.
The cost of getting them calibrated can cost more than some torque wrenches are worth.
I only bother having one for the small in/lb torque wrenches as they don’t have much room for error.
The bigger stuff…… close but consistent is good enough.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

MGTF Wheel stud thread lube ~ or not 4 months 3 weeks ago #205035

An out of calibration torque wrench isn’t going to be so far out as to be a danger unless it has been monumentally tampered with & anyone used to using a torque wrench would know in an instant.
I check my Britool wrench against my lads calibrated digital gauge & it’s with a gnats nackers & that’s fine when consistency is required above pedantic accuracy. Mine is set for wheel nut torque as a norm & the studs have a sparingly thin amount of Rocol graphite grease.
M

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT