Sign In   Register

Topic

Hello and Brake Servo change 7 months 5 days ago #204387

Even though the “VVC” belt isn’t being asked to do as much work as the timing belt & it’s replacing isn’t talked about in the same reverential tones, it should still be considered an extension of the timing belt change discipline.
When I look at the belts removed after the proscribed period & consider how wasteful it seems “You could get away with running another 10,000 miles on that”. I then look at some pictures of wreckage caused by the above I demure, lob it in the bin & carry on.
M

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Hello and Brake Servo change 7 months 5 days ago #204388

The video looks extremely helpful to someone who has already removed the engine and feels totally at home taking lots of bits and pieces apart with the confidence that they will be able to put them all back together again and the beast will work!! Sadly that is not me....

The view from the top of the engine in our garage is somewhat different!!

If I can find a mechanic willing and able to do this work then I feel sure that they will be thrilled to watch these displays of craftsmanship to ease their work.

Many thanks again for bringing them to my attention.

Phil

Hello and Brake Servo change 7 months 5 days ago #204389

The article looks really useful - and even I can understand most of what was written in it.

Many thanks for bringing this to my attention.

My car arrives back from its abortive trip to the first garage today so I can start planning what parts I need to buy before having the car towed to the second repair shop, which I intend to visit in advance to meet the guys/gals and ensure that they have some idea of what they are committing to before having the car undertake another humiliating tow truck ride!

Hello and Brake Servo change 7 months 4 days ago #204390

Have they been able to check if the cambelt is broken or intact ?
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Hello and Brake Servo change 7 months 4 days ago #204391

If you get stuck and can't find a mechanic, I'm only a 3-1/2 hr plane ride away.

Mark
Mark
95 MGF

replacing the starter motor 7 months 4 days ago #204392

I was just doing some reaserch about the PSCAN unit that you referenced and came across the following:
(https://www.mg-rover.org/threads/mgf-diagnostic-scan-tool.185006/)
"SHARKYMGF · #2 · Apr 2, 2007. Pre 2001 cars are not OBD2 compliant, and so the only tools that will work are the profesional and expesive (i.e. £500+) ones.
If your engine warning light is on or you suspect you have a problem then your best bet is to go to your nearest X-Part service centre who should be able to do you a diognistic for the charge of an hours labour. This is typically around £40-50."

Given that the prices that I am seeing for the PSCAN are around GBP200, I am somewhat confused.
Have I misunderstood something?

replacing the starter motor 7 months 4 days ago #204393

Ignore that out of date advice, Pscan has been made especially for our cars, it will work on our pre OBD2 systems, it works on my 97 MGF.
The Pscan has been r reverse engineered from MG/Rover”s T4 diagnostic system which was what was used at the MG dealerships back in the day.
That forum you quoted is a good source of misinformation……..too many idiots proving that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Here, for all the information on the Pscan that you need:
The Pscan section of the Tbar forums
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

replacing the starter motor 7 months 4 days ago #204394

Thanks for the speedy response, Cobber. I will set about buying the PScan a.s.a.p.

By the way, if Cobber is based in Australia, what is he doing up at this time of day??

replacing the starter motor 7 months 4 days ago #204395

I am ever vigilant!

replacing the starter motor 7 months 4 days ago #204396

And it’s almost 8:30 AM at the time of posting

replacing the starter motor 7 months 4 days ago #204397

Queensland, New South Wales?

replacing the starter motor 7 months 4 days ago #204398

No I’m not an uncivilised barbarian…….. Victoria the most enlightened, cultured and respected place on earth.
Down here we have decorum, and don’t follow rugby unlike those mono syllabic grunters over the border!…. Keep banging those rocks together guys, it’ll take about 50 millennia (@ 100 millennia in the case of Queensland ) but eventually you’ll get there! :bust:

Down here we don’t have to worry about being eaten by crocodiles……..the sharks and spiders ate them all!
:bust:

Last edit: Post by Cobber.
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT