Sign In   Register

Topic

replacing the starter motor 7 months 1 week ago #204198

I have recently imported my MGF VVC Abingdon to join me in Texas and, within a few weeks of completing the final hurdle of this marathon, it seems that the starter motor has given up the ghost. Given that:
a) I am far too hamfisted (and old!) to attempt this and
b) there is almost certainly no-one in this part of the USA who has experience of doing this,
is there an almost idiot-proof “How to do it” guide that I could share with a local mechanic in the hope that he/she will not be scared off by the alien, cramped engine compartment to get the job done?
If so, that will only leave me to find a replacement started motor!
Regards,
Phil

Please Log in to join the conversation.

replacing the starter motor 7 months 1 week ago #204199

https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/21-david-aiketgate-s-guides/90064-starter-motor-how-to-remove-replace
It can be a bit off-putting, but overall not too bad a job once you familiarise yourself t the layout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phil14140

replacing the starter motor 7 months 1 week ago #204200

replacing the starter motor 7 months 1 week ago #204201

:welcome2:

Check firstly the solenoid connection on the starter, a spade connector prone to corrosion and loose. Clean and tighten it.
This fault shows as intermittent no crank.
David
:shrug:

replacing the starter motor 7 months 1 week ago #204202

:welcome2:

Check firstly the solenoid connection on the starter, a spade connector prone to corrosion and working loose. Clean and tighten it.
This fault shows as intermittent no crank.
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

replacing the starter motor 7 months 1 week ago #204203

Yes, look at this first. David has probably handed this nugget of advice down so many times there’s probably a keyboard shortcut for it.
Locate the evaporation canister on the engine/boot bulkhead, & reach down by it, you should locate the faston/Lucar connectors on the stater motor. Give them a good wiggle & if your problems are resolved change the connector & clean the contacts, do this anyway & call it preventative maintenance.
M

replacing the starter motor 7 months 1 week ago #204208

Many thanks to all who responded – and so quickly! - to my question. I will relay the article and the suggestions to whomsoever I find willing (and, hopefully, able!) to attempt this work, assuming that the suggestions do not fix the problem.
I have to say that the responses scared the daylights out of me; having owned the car for just over 25 years (thus being able to import it to the US) all that I have seen of the engine is what is visible via the boot space. Hopefully my local garage in Hampshire has seen a great deal more when they have serviced the car…
Which leads me to my next really dumb question: what has to be done to get to the position where the photos in the article were taken? I have bought a couple of workshop and restoration manuals for the car, but I have yet to see either explain step 1: gaining access to the engine.
Regards,
Phil

replacing the starter motor 7 months 1 week ago #204209

replacing the starter motor 7 months 1 week ago #204210

The engine is transversely mounted with the front of the engine on the right and the gearbox on the left. . The top parts of the engine are best accessed by removing the engine cover, a plate that is under the back shelf, secured by a number of small 10mm bolts as described in the link David has provided above. Other areas of the engine compartment may be best accessed from underneath the car / through the rear wheel arches.
The starter motor is not too difficult to access compared to most cars.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

replacing the starter motor 7 months 6 days ago #204217

Phil I wish you or should I say your chosen sacrificial mechanic luck, I agree with the wiring comments above, that bracing salt laden sea air on the trip over probably didn't help.
I suspect your car will be the centre of some attention being such a rarity, maybe you should run off some handbills (USA speak?) giving a short history of the MGF together with relevant facts and figures either that or invest in some throat pastilles.
Good luck your now a pioneer
PS in the unlikely event it breaks down either A] throw a tarp over it or B] stick BMW badges on it

replacing the starter motor 7 months 5 days ago #204222

As a reformed shandy-drinker I enjoyed, but am still trying to understand, the "Inspection Panel Removal" article. It looks very helpful; the next few days (if the weather is somewhat cooler than the 95+F that we have been experiencing for the past couple of months) I shall give it a go. Many thanks again for the input.
Phil
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notanumber

replacing the starter motor 7 months 4 days ago #204223

Rarity, yes, but centre of attention, not so much to date. It caused some amusement (me) and consternation (sheriff's deputy) when I took it to receive it's County Sheriff's OK before it could be officially licensed here - a step that was not included in the County's website procedure. The deputy asked me to open the hood (bonnet) and then was bewildered why I was walking to the back of the car! He obviously assumed that this foreigner didn't understand "hood" so the command was repeated.. Upon opening aforesaid hood he was less than happy to find nothing of interest to see there. So I aimed him to the trunk (boot) where he was again less than impressed to see nothing of interest!!
It seems that the reason for the Sheriff's inspection was to ensure that the car had not been stolen...
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT