Sign In   Register

Topic

replacing the starter motor 7 months 1 week ago #204227

If you have not already done it then I suggest that you join the MG Experience forum which is mostly North American based, although it is really dedicated to the pre 1980's MG's there is a "Modern MG" section but with so few cars is not really supported, you may find the following useful; https://www.mgexp.com/forum/modern-mg-forum.54/parts-cross-reference-and-parts-that-are.3181845/ and https://www.mgexp.com/forum/modern-mg-forum.54/dealers-parts-and-service.2272761/
This will help you find commonly needed parts from mostly Land Rover dealers, there is also a database of USA owned MGF's but I wasn't able to find it.
You will still need to visit this forum for advise though, not much happens on the MG Ex Modern Car forum though

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by MGB281.

replacing the starter motor 7 months 1 week ago #204242

There was an article in the press some while ago about some schoool kids who, overnight, let loose three sheep in the school buildings, having first spray painted on the first "1", the second "2" and the third "4". The staff spent hours trying to find number 3!! I have just experienced similar feelings trying to find bolts 12 and 13 before removing the inspection panel. Try as I might I could ony find 11 holes (and 10 bolts, go figure!!). The inspection panel came off but I have no idea where bolts 12 and 13 were supposed to be located! Now to see if I can understand the important stuff about the starter motor!!
Thanks for the help, David.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notanumber

replacing the starter motor 7 months 1 week ago #204246

The two missing bolts will be the ones which attach the cross bracing, which is only present on later cars...
David
:shrug:

replacing the starter motor 7 months 6 days ago #204247

Thanks, David. That was somewhat easier than finding the missing third sheep!!

replacing the starter motor 7 months 6 days ago #204250

The missing third sheep is a wonderful & inventive tale, I can’t wait to use something similar, can I warn all who know me; it’s just a matter of time.

replacing the starter motor 7 months 4 days ago #204270

Hi Phil,

I know I am late to answer, been in GB for the last two weeks.

There are a few Fs in Texas, and quite a few in the US, but not nearly as many as in Canada. Not yet at least.

As an FYI, the starter and the alternator can both be rebuilt by a local auto electric shop. When I took the starter to my local auto electric shop here in SW Ontario, he was able to obtain the required bushing and brushes locally. When I showed him the alternator from my 95 F, he said that it was a common model (mounting points aside) and the normal repair parts can be sourced.
Mark
95 MGF
The following user(s) said Thank You: phil14140

replacing the starter motor 6 months 4 weeks ago #204328

Sadly my chosen garage has just informed me that it is NOT a starter motor problem. Their report states: "no coolant in bottle - timing issues
- engine has no compression - removed #1 spark plug - 0 lbs compression."
Any ideas will be gratefully received before I try to find another garage to attempt a repair.
Many thanks.

replacing the starter motor 6 months 4 weeks ago #204329

Loss of coolant and no compression in #1 cylinder makes me think its head gasket failure.

Most of the knowledge base for the MGF is in Canada, is located in Alberta, Ontario, and Newfoundland. I'm the Coordinator of the Post Abingdon Register for the NAMGBR, https://namgbr.org/registers/post-abingdon-register/

I know of one person in Texas that owns an 1995 MGF. Send me an email and I'll send you his contact information: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Mark
95 MGF

replacing the starter motor 6 months 4 weeks ago #204330

Thanks, Mark, my garage in the UK has just emailed to suggest that the head gasket could have failed, so two concurring voices

replacing the starter motor 6 months 4 weeks ago #204331

What you have described with no compression there sadly does fit the very many accounts on here and the other forums of head gasket failure. The updated type of gasket is available as are all the parts required. It would be worth getting the cylinder head checked (and skimmed if it shown to be required) by the lack mechanic. Also when the head is off measure the height of the cylinder liners against the top of the cylinder block as this will determine the choice of head gasket to get. (dropped liners can be worked around with the correct type of gasket). So long as you can control costs by doing a deal for cash with the mechanic or a friendly car savy neighbour it will certainly be worth doing. Try not to worry and just follow it through to get your MG back.on the road.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

replacing the starter motor 6 months 4 weeks ago #204332

Thanks for the input and the motivational ending!!

I have searched the "How To" section of the website to find instructions on how to change a head gasket but only found some useful input as to how to diagnose that you need to replace it.

Is there an idiot's guide that I can take to the garage guys to shore up their confidence level that they can perform this task??

replacing the starter motor 6 months 4 weeks ago #204333

So let’s just go through a few things, before I attempt a long range diagnosis ( always fraught with danger trying to do diagnostics from afar )
1. When you attempt to start the engine, exactly what happens? Does s the starter attempt to crank over the engine or is it showing absolutely no signs of enthusiasm?

2. What is the stage of the battery ( load test) are the connections clean and tight, this includes the connection to the starter and ground connections.

3. Will the engine wind over by hand with the spark plugs removed? Whilst the plugs are out, take some good close up pix of them and post the pix on here so we can read them. ( we need individual pix of the electrodes…. The business end.

4. You say that you’ve owned the car for 25 years, when did it last run? And when was it last serviced?

5. Remove the timing belt cover and inspect the timing belt (Thame pix and post them here)

If the engine won’t crank over, I wonder how they managed a compression test.
I hope that you’re not suffering a timing belt failure.

Although I hold the document in utter contempt due to the fact that like all manuals these days in is written by idiotsI I suggest you buy a copy of the MGF workshop manual. It will be better than nothing. And will help mechanics not familiar with our cars understand what they need to know. And in the future maybe you should invest in a Pscan OBD diagnostic unit (the only one worth a damn for our cars)
Yes it may seem an additional expense, but it will prove to be a wise investment as much time and money will be saved as a result of having these items at hand when needed…..and you will need them!
When you turn the car over to the mechanic you hand him the manual and explain that it belongs to the car and must stay with the car, when he hands the car back to you.
The Pscan stays with you, you can take your laptop in with you when you go to the mechanic and you can do the diagnostic for him so as he can see the results but the Pscan will only work on a computer that it’s registered to, so it won’t work on his computer.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT