Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Changing gear selector cables - bulkhead closure plate 7 months 2 weeks ago #204098

Maybe an old 40ft shipping container would suffice. You could cut a slot in the top to pop them in as you go along & at weekend open the doors & file them in order of venom.
Major expletives might have to be kept away from the ordinary one, the acrid contents might taint a simple “oh bugger” into something you might now want your grandmother to overhear.
M

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Changing gear selector cables - bulkhead closure plate 7 months 2 weeks ago #204132

Hi. It’s me here again to bring us back to to original topic.

Not having a closure plate I have managed to extract my cross-gate cable (the long one) without much loss of blood. A new one is on order.

The old one exited into the engine bay to the right of the big coolant pipes. The other cable went to the left and it seems to me that would be a smoother run for the cross- gate cable as well.

Does anyone know which is right?

Changing gear selector cables - bulkhead closure plate 7 months 2 weeks ago #204133

Sorry I meant which is correct.

Changing gear selector cables - bulkhead closure plate 7 months 2 weeks ago #204134

Sorry no but would love to know, I was silly enough not to make a note of it when refreshing. If anyone knows for sure and honestly if it matters, I'd love to know too. I went with what felt right and seems to be ok.

Not my most helpful post but I was with you.

Changing gear selector cables - bulkhead closure plate 7 months 2 weeks ago #204137

Semantics is everything, yes you are correct, however you might find that getting it all back together & working is reward enough.
M

Changing gear selector cables - bulkhead closure plate 7 months 1 week ago #204144

Sorry if I am being dim, but do you mean that to the left of the pipes is correct?

Changing gear selector cables - bulkhead closure plate 7 months 1 week ago #204148

I really can’t remember how the pipe work formed up & I can’t go & look, the car’s in Lancashire & I’m looking out over the rolling downs of the Cotswolds.
Once I’d got stuff freed off I simply oiked it all out & discarded it. It was only when offering the new one up that it occurred to me that I’d no idea how to order the various bits.
I seem to recall it only going back comfortably one way & that’s the way it stayed.
I’m away for another ten days if you’re still struggling after then I’ll gladly go & look.
M

Changing gear selector cables - bulkhead closure plate 7 months 1 week ago #204155

The shorter gear change cable that goes under the engine should run to the right of the under floor hoses and has a cable tie arrangement onto the right hand hose.

The cross gate cable exists to the left of the under floor hoses and follows the route of the hand break cable's over the top of the engine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Changing gear selector cables - bulkhead closure plate 7 months 1 week ago #204193

I am pleased to say that a new cable has now been fitted and the resulting gear change is better than it has ever been.

Thanks to all for your help.

Changing gear selector cables - bulkhead closure plate 7 months 1 week ago #204195

How did you find the set up procedure? Are you one of the jammy buggers where a flick of the wrist makes everything just falls into place resulting in the embarrassment of ordinary mortals who still can’t sort it after hours of farting about?
We’ll done.
M

Changing gear selector cables - bulkhead closure plate 7 months 11 hours ago #204255

I think I maybe -a jammy bugger that is. The selector rod on the box was in neutral so I just got my friend to hold the gearstick vertical, and adjusted the ball joints to fir the bellcrank.

Seemed to right first time - now i have a box full of accessible cogs. Unlike before when I struggled to find first or fifth.

Changing gear selector cables - bulkhead closure plate 7 months 5 hours ago #204257

Great stuff.
M

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT