Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

hard top stand ? 7 months 2 weeks ago #204067

Has anyone here made or bought a hardtop stand ?

My hardtop has just been propped in a corner of the garage since i fitted the new softip on the 135 but i keep looking at it thinking it would be better stored in a less precarious way. I'm not sure whether a freestanding frame is best or just to rawlbolt some horizontal timbers to the wall to strap it to.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

hard top stand ? 7 months 2 weeks ago #204068

If you have head room hang it from the garage roof. I have mine on a pulley system where I can drop it on or lift it off, I can do it single-handedly although I like to have spare pair of hands standing by.
M

hard top stand ? 7 months 2 weeks ago #204069

The proper hardtop for use with an MG

And the correct storage device
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
Attachments:

hard top stand ? 7 months 2 weeks ago #204071

The rafters was my first thought but there isnt enough available height to walk under it ,
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

hard top stand ? 7 months 2 weeks ago #204075

You don't need much headroom. The clip eyes screw into blind brass inserts fixed from the inside & when on plastic blanks pop in, you barely notice. If the car were in the roof would be hovering a little above the clips, with one more link to settle it for clipping down. The pulleys in the sheaves could do with being twice the diameter other than that it works fine.
M
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

hard top stand ? 7 months 2 weeks ago #204076

That's a nice hood for your helmet Cobbs

hard top stand ? 7 months 2 weeks ago #204080

Like Cobber I don't need much room to store my hardtop.
Attachments:

hard top stand ? 7 months 3 days ago #204219

Is it safe to hang a hard top from the wall using some sort of hooks to hold the rear window end ?

There isnt the height to string it horizontally from the rafters so mine has been propped against a wall with the back end topmost and the windscreen end on the floor.

It's too likely to be knocked like that so wonder if anyone has hung theirs from a wall and if so how they did it
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Last edit: Post by Notanumber.

hard top stand ? 7 months 3 days ago #204220

I bought the plastic lid almost by accident having decided against it, “definitely this time & no arguing or rethinks”.
“Yes dear”.
It didn’t stop me from putting a really really really cheeky bit on one in the north east.
We were on holiday when it transpired that I was the most generous, in fact the only generous person.
Explain that at breakfast. I’ve had worse days.
In the preceding years I’ve seen hard tops stored from the frankly reckless through to the ultra cosseted, the chunks missing or broken around the periphery tell stories of there own. But I doubt there was one which has suffered enough not to fit & after the proscribed farting about time, seal.
The way you envisage it as described is the way I would approach it, keeping the whole assembly in shear; find the point of balance across the quarter panels & use those as your anchors.
How you affix the anchors is entirely up to you, but you could do a lot worse than machine screw eyes into blind nuts with a reasonable plate to spread the load. I would guess the stress loading would be better this way than that on my system, where the loading is plane to the surface, granted with four fixing points.
It’s then just a couple of cords from the eyes up to wood screw eyes into the roof timbers.
M

Last edit: Post by Airportable.

hard top stand ? 7 months 2 days ago #204239

Whilst looking for something unrelated I found MGMania do some stainless brackets to hang a hardtop from a wall.
I should have copied the info but it didn’t register until later, it’s an age thing.
M

hard top stand ? 7 months 2 days ago #204241

Thanks. Il take a look
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT