Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

TF Upgrades 9 months 1 week ago #203388

Hi All,
As an TF owner of 1 month I’m about to begin some modifications/upgrades.
These will include the coolant alarm kit from B&G, the replacement of the plastic radiator filler cum bleed point and possibly the Mike Satur kit for improving the air flow into the radiator.
My questions are:
Has anyone done the radiator airflow kit? It’s the one with I think four pieces of aluminium. If so what do you think about it?
The original plastic radiator filler thingy apparently can fall apart when attempting to remove it, when I try removing mine and that happens is it just a matter of drilling (carefully) out the remnants?
Regards,
Michael.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TF Upgrades 9 months 1 week ago #203389

A while ago a gentleman became quite agitated by my fitting a stainless replacement radiator bleed plug, onto which i popped a spot of graphite grease. Catastrophe would befall & home built aircraft would fall out of the sky. All I wanted to do was replace a chewed up plastic plug for a metal one, I'll look it up & you can make an informed decision. My car's fine, still, it was out today & no aircraft fell out of the sky, certainly not where I was.

TF Upgrades 9 months 1 week ago #203390

The thread is headed Radiator Bleed Screw, would you believe it. If you go back just over 8 months two weeks ago under ref #200423 you'll find it. As is not unusual Cobber adds an interesting bit at the end.
M
The following user(s) said Thank You: MAXTHEDOG

Last edit: Post by Airportable.

TF Upgrades 9 months 6 days ago #203391

While undertaking my LE500 rebuild, I was looking at this radiator upgrade kit. But it can't be used with air con because the condenser is in the way.
However, I don't think it would have been of any benefit anyway.
After getting my car back together, I checked out the cooling system by letting it run in the driveway until the fans kicked-in due to the coolant temperature, and subsequently stopping when the temp had dropped.
Now that I'm driving it on the road, the coolant has never got hot enough to make the fans kick-in anyway.
My car does not even have the extra duct behind the fender that I have seen on other cars.
The only mods that I did were to:
1. Replace the underfloor pipes and the pipes feeding the coolant pump with stainless steel versions.
2. Replaced the little plastic tee piece with a home made stainless one (the plastic one fell apart in my hands).
3. Made sure the two vents back to the expansion tank had a very restricted, but continuous flow back to the expansion tank.
So far, no problems.

TF Upgrades 9 months 6 days ago #203395

Hi,
@Airportable
Seems the rad bleed plug is now made from aluminium. That should obviate any electrolytic action assuming the rad is aluminium. Was it initially SS? Either way I’ll leave it till I need to bleed it, which probably will be just after the level alarm kit is fitted.

@billcoleman
I had some doubts also about the rad kit. Think I’ll stick with the level alarm kit for now.
Cheers,
Michael.

TF Upgrades 9 months 6 days ago #203396

I believe radiator duct kit only fits cars without aircon, it was developed to help reduce lift and push air through the radiator rather than blow back out through the upper grille, which has been a problem with the aerodynamics of the F.
I wasn’t aware the TF had any such.problems.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

TF Upgrades 9 months 6 days ago #203398

I’ve just checked my bleedin bleed plug & yes, it’s still stainless & it was easy to remove, plus there’s no evidence of electrolytic action, it looks better than the gnawed original & it wanted a bit of a burp so alpha double plus all around.
M

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT