Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Clock and Oil Temp Backlights 10 months 2 days ago #203190

Now that I have fitted led back-lights in the heater control panel, is there a way of opening up the clock and oil temp gauges so the I can change those lamps?

At the moment, I can't seem to open them (they are out of the car) and don't want to damage them.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Clock and Oil Temp Backlights 10 months 2 days ago #203192

This applies to TF gauges:
From what I can recall you have to open up the crimping on the glass retainer, remove the retainer and glass then the workings come out thru the front.
Basically its a suitable screwdriver/pick to lever against the gauge body to open the crimping up, I do recall the gauge body is not that strong and flexed so I put a jubilee clip on the gauge body (not tight) to help spread the loading.

Clock and Oil Temp Backlights 10 months 2 days ago #203194

Humm... this looks a little risky, so I will probably leave them alone...

Clock and Oil Temp Backligh 10 months 2 days ago #203195

The other possibility is to replace them with gauges that will convey meaningful information. If your clock is consistent in reading the correct time other than twice a day you might consider auctioning it off, I'm sure there'll be someone who would like it as a novelty. I gave up on mine ages ago, although the one in the tf did better than the one in the f, the other gauge purports to be oil temperature, flying saucer sightings are more predictable.
A couple of digital gauges, one oil temperature & one for pressure are of much greater use than the ten bob items as OEM & fit straight into the holes left in the dashboard.
I'm not sure when the last picture appeared on here that had my gauges included as incidentals, I'll look it up & give you an appropriate date for you to investigate.
M

Clock and Oil Temp Backligh 10 months 1 day ago #203207

I think the post was “Steering wheel controls” & it was about three & a bit months ago, although it seems longer, the post ref’ number is (#201610). As you must have gathered my posting of pictures is a disaster, procedures used successfully in one post turns to dust with the next. I can assure you the gauges look better in the car than on the internet. The display colours can be selected, they seem consistent when earthed properly & as far as can be tested accurate.
The senders are electronic & have to be plumbed in around the oil filter & you will need to add an extra fitting.
Further back under the heading (A thread sandwich) I describe the way I approach the plumbing but the earthing reference should be heeded.
M

Clock and Oil Temp Backligh 10 months 1 day ago #203208

Last time i looked Darren did 2nd hand clock and oil temperature gauges for something like £ 4 each. You could afford to experiment with opening one up, treating the first attempt as sacrificial
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Clock and Oil Temp Backligh 10 months 1 day ago #203212

I’m As I mentioned in the wiper motor post I’ve been going through boxes & look what I found! I also dropped on a better centre console picture. Now I’ll do my level best to put them up, but don’t get too excited.
M
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Airportable.

Clock and Oil Temp Backligh 10 months 1 day ago #203214

Very good. Where did you get them from?

Clock and Oil Temp Backligh 10 months 15 hours ago #203225

They are from 'Racing 2000' on E-bay (where else, I refuse to use Amazon) described as "2" 52mm Universal Car LCD 7 Colour Oil Press Pressure Gauge Meter Psi with Sensor". There are a number of gauges for all comers from these folk & as far as I can ascertain they are within reasonable tolerance, or at least those that have been through my hands. I can check temperature & pressure with a degree of ease & accuracy in the workshop & I've had nothing grossly misleading, although initially I couldn't get a sensible reading on the oil temperature being lower than expected & indicated by my I/R thermometer. I used a simple +1 adaptor to link into the oil filter housing & the temperature gradient up this rather long adaptor was affecting the results, (I can be a right old fanny when it comes to accuracy). I replaced it with a pancake adaptor between filter & housing, ( see 'a thread sandwich') & forgot about the "O" ring, which isolated the ground. A proper ground restored & all was well. I hope this helps, sometimes I can spend an inordinate length of time looking for the right thing for me at the right price & to be able to pass that info on to save others that time & effort is oddly rewarding.
M

Clock and Oil Temp Backligh 10 months 12 hours ago #203228

Is the oil temperature gauge worth keeping ? I'd heard it said that it's a good guide to only start pushing the engine at all hard once the oil temp has risen off zero. Is there another way to estimate the point when it's safe
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Clock and Oil Temp Backligh 10 months 11 hours ago #203229

I don't know how accurate the temperature gauge is, but I think that most modern engine oils work very effectively across the entire temperature range we are likely to see. It might be different if you were using the car in North America during the winter.

Clock and Oil Temp Backligh 10 months 10 hours ago #203230

The matching oil temperature gauge to the pressure gauge I have fitted initially indicated 50 degrees & only when the oil temperature exceeds this value does the meter register. I use this as an indicator to start introducing a few more beans. If I'm going stretch her legs I usually wait for the oil pressure to sag a bit at idle, that tells me that the oil is up to temperature & sloshing through every gallery. As Bill implies oil is so good these days that you would be able to run up to the red line within a short time of starting, old habits die hard though & I still keep an eye out for the sag.
M

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT