Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Water ingress 10 months 6 days ago #203117

Hi,
i`m new to the forum & have just picked up a 97 F for my wife. It turns out its going to be a bit of a project. We have owned a few ZR`s in pervious years so are familiar with the engine & gasket changes. But, to start with, I am finding that there is quite a bit of water ingress into this little thing & was wandering if there is already sections on this in the forum could someone point me there please? Or tell me what are the common inlets & how they are generally dealt with.
Cheers in advance, Tim.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Water ingress 10 months 6 days ago #203138

If we are talking windows I can confirm the main body of the glass doesn't leak but all the edges can, the windows probably need adjusting. Puffing some talc around will leave tracks where the waters running from and to but not always where its actually leaking from but a good indication. Normally its either the front leading edge seal or the top seal to the hood/hardtop, the top seal in my experience being easier to fix.
Go to mgfcar.de for good info on what each adjuster does, they go from A to G (or H, I can't recall), it seems daunting at the first attempt (and 2nd,3rd......) but is very satisfying once mastered.
If its water in the boot its 10 to 1 the seals around the rear lights and again talc will confirm this, Good Luck
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Water ingress 10 months 6 days ago #203142

Unless someone has had the good sense to upgrade the box type air intake (above the brake servo) for the snorkel type, the poor sealing on that excrescence will provide you with hours of fun drying out the footwell carpets.
Find & fit the snorkel type but make sure you fit a new packer & a bit of sealant won’t come amiss to help either.
M

Water ingress 10 months 4 days ago #203166

+1 for changing to the snorkel fresh air intake. The airbox that the F's and early TFs had was abysmal for allowing water into the footwell. It is a popular retro fit and the part is readily available 2nd hand. It cured the occasional wet carpets on my TF

I would direct you to the How To guides and the use of the search feature as there is much to be read here on water ingress
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Last edit: Post by Notanumber.

Water ingress 10 months 4 days ago #203169

Thanks for the helpful reply`s. Its good to join a forum where people have something to say rather than people that have to say something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable, Notanumber

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT