Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Brake light switch 1 year 2 months ago #201065

My brake light switch (2003 TF) has become supersensitive - brake lights come on when I go over a bump, and just light finger pressure on the brake pedal causes the lights to come on.

I can't see any scope for adjustment - is there any?

I'm guessing it's a new switch, but can anyone advise the best way to access/remove it? Seems pretty tight to me!!

Thanks

John

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Brake light switch 1 year 2 months ago #201066

I think you find any adjustment is controlled by the amount you screw the switch into the mounting bracket.

Brake light switch 1 year 2 months ago #201067

OK. This is quite a common fault, often resulting in the brake lights being stuck on or flickering.

The switch, which is located near the pivot of the brake pedal, is supposed to auto adjust.. but often doesn't.

The solution is to pull out the plunger to lengthen it. It is on a ratchet so you should feel that as you tug it out (down towards the floor).
Depress the brake pedal first to give room for the lengthened plunger.

Getting yourself into a position to be able to do this requires advanced limbo abilities, however. Alternatively remove the switch first and then tug out the plunger.
David
:shrug:
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: Added pic

Brake light switch 1 year 2 months ago #201068

Thanks, both

David - is the switch a screw-fit?

Brake light switch 1 year 2 months ago #201069

The plunger on the earlier pattern switch, as used on the f, was adjustable, or at least those that I have & made for easy setting. I suspect your car will have a later switch & you will have to adjust as per the Reverend Trevor, I add this in for the owners of earlier cars who being faced with a similar problem might resolve that by either pushing the plunger in or drawing it out.
I will attempt to add two photographs to illustrate; the left switch is fully extended, the right in picture A is fully depressed in picture B fully extended. However my track record in this area is somewhat shaky as those who are regular visitors can attest.

Brake light switch 1 year 2 months ago #201070

Ah! no pictures required, David has covered this admirably & my contribution wasn’t required. Check posts before posting to avoid duplication. Note to self.

Brake light switch 1 year 2 months ago #201071

I honestly can't remember how the switch is fitted. It may be screw in or fixed with a nut.
This is the later type switch mentioned, and I don't know if the plunger adjusts on this one.
David
:shrug:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT