Sign In   Register

Topic

Electric power hood kit pt no: vub 105510 1 year 4 months ago #200721

In addition to all the years of climbing, fell walking, caving & camping year round, most of my remaining technique faded away when I fell heavily when a kind motorist knocked me flying whilst out cycling. I would be delighted to stand & watch the roof being lifting by someone sat in the driver’s seat, just to note the technique, in fact I’m delighted to stand up at all after my cycling incident.
It is said that these things are mind over matter & I don’t mind getting out of the car to lift the roof because it really doesn’t matter. M

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Electric power hood kit pt no: vub 105510 1 year 4 months ago #200727

I dispute that. It is solely a matter of technique.
One takes the hood from behind the seat with the left hand and brace with the right hand on the left wrist.

It doesn't work with a windstop and a glass rear window.

Electric power hood kit pt no: vub 105510 1 year 4 months ago #200728

Oh, yes it does! That's what mine has.

Electric power hood kit pt no: vub 105510 1 year 4 months ago #200740

I dispute that. It is solely a matter of technique.
One takes the hood from behind the seat with the left hand and brace with the right hand on the left wrist.

It doesn't work with a windstop and a glass rear window.

Seconded.....I have a perspex windstop and ankylosing spondylitis and at 5'7 I am not that tall - I can not do the hood up while sitting in the drivers seat!

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Electric power hood kit pt no: vub 105510 1 year 3 months ago #200741

And if you have no arms or a hard top fitted then you cannot lift the roof from the driver's seat either, not yet while sitting in a restaurant eating turnips or if you only drive a Moskvitch. But the rest of us, for the most part can.

Electric power hood kit pt no: vub 105510 1 year 3 months ago #200742

Seconded.....I have a perspex windstop and ankylosing spondylitis and at 5'7 I am not that tall - I can not do the hood up while sitting in the drivers seat!

Ouch!…..whatever that condition is, it don’t sound like something comfy.

I’m a knarly old bastard, not exactly toweringly tall, but have done it…………could barely move afterwards, so I do understand that it’s possible……..but it’s not for this little black duck!
As these are what I call “a bum in a bucket car” I pretty well need to drop the roof to be able to get in and out of the little bastard!
My Triumph TR-7 coupe is worse….no dropping the lid first, there!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Electric power hood kit pt no: vub 105510 1 year 3 months ago #200743

The comment from minimax is a little on the caustic side! I can only comment on personal experience & as I’ve no experience of either turnip soup, Moskvitch cars, Tredants or Yugo, I’ll leave those to one side, although there’s a tenuous Red thread running through; I suspect there might be quite a lot left to one side if presented with turnip soup.
Most of the current contributors, I would guess, will be of a certain age & have these cars as some form of tenuous connection to the now lost English sports car industry, I also guess that there are other sports cars we would rather have in our garage if our pockets were more capacious. With age comes experience (usually) & along with those advancing years come infirmities which allow some to perform tasks better than others & if you allow those difficulties to accumulate you’ll end up doing bugger all. Let’s all be grateful that we can still get our bums in the bucket, accept our failings & get on with the next topic. And poor old pgew question has all but been lost in the scrum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Electric power hood kit pt no: vub 105510 1 year 3 months ago #200744

The following user(s) said Thank You: mowog73

Electric power hood kit pt no: vub 105510 1 year 3 months ago #200745

QED

Electric power hood kit pt no: vub 105510 1 year 3 months ago #200746

Oh, yes it does! That's what mine has.

OK. I've been out and tried it again. I already knew the method described above but could not remember why it didn't work for me. I knew it was to do with the glass screen and the windstop.

With about the same degree of difficulty as Jodie in the video, I can raise the hood and close it from the driver's seat. It hurts my left shoulder a lot (old AC injury) but it is possible. BUT...

Once the hood is up, I cannot lower the windstop from the driver's seat because it hits the glass screen. To prevent damage to the screen and the heating element, I have to push the glass away so that the windstop will lower. To do this, I have to get out of the car. I cannot do it otherwise.

Perhaps if I was 30 years younger and a bit more flexible...

As for the VUB 105510, they seem to be very rare. I'd be interested myself if one came my way. I can only suggest that the OP makes a 'saved search' on eBay.

Electric power hood kit pt no: vub 105510 1 year 3 months ago #200756

The video seems to prove that it can be done but not by everybody.........

I'm going to give it a try when my car comes out of hibernation. I'm 6'1" but my car does have a windstop.

Electric power hood kit pt no: vub 105510 1 year 3 months ago #200762

Adam, (adamelphic) used a length of seat belt attached to the driver's side roof latch to lift the roof, sitting in the driver's seat. It lived rolled up under the latch when not needed, and was left laying between the seats when the roof was down.
Hey presto, roof easily pulled up.

Incidentally I have Mike Satur roll hoops and glass windstop and a glass rear screen, and I can simply fling the roof back without anything catching on anything else. :shrug:
David
:shrug:

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT