Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Mayo 1 year 4 months ago #200559

Which gave me a shock whilst checking the oil. Before panic set in fully, I removed the oil filler cap to find it clean and dry. Car is running half a mile a day at the moment and not getting warmed up fully. Coolant level fine and undiscoloured. I have a 400 mile run to do in a week's time so I think it would be a good idea to take the car for a forty mile blast on Friday but for the moment, I'm not too worried.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mayo 1 year 4 months ago #200560

I think you are right in your assessment. The K series gets warm very quickly and this short trip syndrome it's been going through I think would cause this to happen. I wouldn't go ordering the gasket set just yet :nonod:

John

Mayo 1 year 4 months ago #200569

There were two droplets of water high up on the dipstick this morning. Not coolant. Not worried ;)

Mayo 1 year 4 months ago #200577

Twenty miles at 6700 RPM is beginning to clear it. Oil and coolant levels all ok.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Mayo 1 year 4 months ago #200581

Hum, that’s a fair old trot.

Mayo 1 year 4 months ago #200582

You might of course have been in third gear for the entire twenty miles, in which case it would have been both noisy & tedious.

Mayo 1 year 4 months ago #200583

Noisy, yes, Tedious, no, as those revs in third still translate to moving quite quickly. I spent about ten minutes with the oil temperature over 120 but it was not enough to clear all the mayo. I expect it will take a longer run, other people have reckoned on about forty miles. Seen another way, twenty miles at high revs would have busted something had there been anything amiss. There was no oil nor coolant loss, There was no power loss either and a good clear out reminded me what a good little sprinter a well sorted VVC is. I can see why people pay so much for an Elise with 160 BHP in two thirds of the weight. If I had the money, I would too!

Mayo 1 year 4 months ago #200585

143bhp is considered small beer these days amongst sports cars but it can still (even at twenty five years old & with over 120000 on the clock) get up the road in a manner which can startle both onlookers, the driver, my wife & dog.
I’d like to spend half a day in a finely honed Elise, having done the same in an Elan a good few years ago.

Mayo 1 year 4 months ago #200586

It may only have 143 BHP ( a good inlet kit, exhaust and throttle body bring about another dozen to the party,) but it has1800 cc which in today's terms is a big engine. My Ford gives 100 bhp per litre and this only eighty but the difference in torque is what makes it fun.

Another point. If you are looking for mayo. Don't use the dipstick wiper!

Last edit: Post by minimax.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT