Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Catalytic converter flange 2 years 1 month ago #198635

So my exhaust unbelievably has lasted for over 2 years despite looking like this it doesn't leak and unfortunately it won't go on forever and the catalytic converter flange is very corroded does anyone have a solution for rectifying this - is it possible to weld a new flange onto the catalytic converter pipe or is there another solution?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Catalytic converter flange 2 years 1 month ago #198636

My solution was to buy an aftermarket klarius Cat from mgfntfbitz for£120 and sell my old leaky cat to a scrap merchant for £760, problem solved, also means I cashed in before the scrotes stole it.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Re:Catalytic converter flange 2 years 1 month ago #198637

What am I missing here? Why will they pay 5x the cost for a new CAT for a 20 year old CAT - unless they have significantly less active material in them and a much shorter life, or is there something else?

Re:Re:Catalytic converter flange 2 years 1 month ago #198638

Materials used in new cats are cheaper (nor precious metal) and therefore cheaper, if you buy one a I did look for a guarantee, mine came with 2 years so I can can change it every 2 years for almost 8 years without loss but I'm sure that won't be the case, by the way the one I bought are also badged as MG Rover oem by the like of Rimmers at a premium, and by the way you can buy replacement flanges to weld on if you are so inclined but if you existing is salvageable and able to be welded it could eventually collapse inside and become worthless.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gavin207

Re:Re:Catalytic converter flange 2 years 1 month ago #198639

Isn't it only the earlier MGF cats that are so valuable? I don't think the TF cat is worth much?

Catalytic converter flange 2 years 1 month ago #198641

I used one of these but you'll need a welder. https://www.mikesatur.co.uk/-MGF-MGTF-Exhaust-or-Cat-Flange-Repair-Kit

Catalytic converter flange 2 years 1 month ago #198642

I assume I'd need stainless welding wire - not something I've tried yet with my MIG. Bearing in mind the existing CAT is 17 years and 113 miles old, how long can you expect an original CAT to last?

Catalytic converter flange 2 years 1 month ago #198643

There is no great mystery to mig welding stainless steel and yes stainless mig wire is required if you're welding stainless to stainless, but wont matter much if you're welding stainless to mild steel, by the look of the state of it in the pix, you're going to be trying to weld stainless to shit.......bin it and start again!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Catalytic converter flange 2 years 1 month ago #198675

fixed mine by cutting cat and tailpipe flange with angle grinder leaving two open pipes. Guy on eBay makes pipe connectors to order. Therefore cutting out flange connection. Worked fine, passed MOT..
If interested let me know, I'll give you more details.
Ian

Catalytic converter flange 1 year 5 months ago #200384

So I decided to take the exhaust and CAT off the car as I need to change the lambda sensor and couldn't shift it on the car. The CAT/exhaust flange connection didn't survive as you'll see below.

Although the exhaust still isn't leaking I'm considering changing the CAT and exhaust as it can't last much longer, and at 118,000 Miles I wonder how much longer the CAT can last. Also

So I'm considering a CAT and mild steel standard silencer from mgfntfbitz.

Question - how long do the mild steel silencers last, as at 1/3 of the price of a s/s unit

Also what can I expect to get scrap for an original TF CAT, and where's best to sell it?
Attachments:

Re:Catalytic converter flange 1 year 5 months ago #200385

So I decided to take the exhaust and CAT off the car as I need to change the lambda sensor and couldn't shift it on the car. The CAT/exhaust flange connection didn't survive as you'll see below.

Although the exhaust still isn't leaking I'm considering changing the CAT and exhaust as it can't last much longer, and at 118,000 Miles I wonder how much longer the CAT can last. Also

So I'm considering a CAT and mild steel standard silencer from mgfntfbitz.

Question - how long do the mild steel silencers last, as at 1/3 of the price of a s/s unit

Also what can I expect to get scrap for an original TF CAT, and where's best to sell it?

Mild steel back boxes can last a long time (years) provided that condensation drys up so on longer drives etc, although a SS exhaust will sound better if thats what you are after (depending on which one some LOUD others not so much) as far as cat value I sold my MK2 F cat for £760.00 they had been as much as £900 but prices fluctuate and it all depends on the code on the back, mine was KAT 010 but I expect £200 as a minimum currently, not sure where you are but google for local buyers, I sold mine at Warrs in Birmingham.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT