Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Felix won't start 2 years 2 months ago #198443

I've been really lazy and not started Felix for ages now.
Yesterday I tried in vain to get him to fire up.
Put fresh fuel in, charged battery, used extra battery, had jump leads on from ZS, you name it!
It's been around 5 months since he last started, and before that he would fire up immediately.
What should I look for first?
Ta, it's been a while I was in here!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

Felix won't start 2 years 2 months ago #198444

Can you hear the fuel pump run? Did you check the immobiliser is happy? Yes to both: check the sparks.

Felix won't start 2 years 2 months ago #198446

It tried to start the very first time (or rather i heard i few 'fires') then nothing much..... Immboliser is working fine. I think it's engine cover off time. Could be damp I guess as it's been over the Winter.

I want to get him started so that after 3 years nearly off the road I can get him sorted again. I need to finish my custom dash and get it covered.. then I can reinstall the interior....

Felix won't start 2 years 2 months ago #198463

I'm not sure about this because of CATs. ECU's, and fuel injection so perhaps someone more knowledgeable can comment.

Back in the old days of carbs I was told spray easy start in the filter, if it started (briefly) or seemed to be starting you had a fuel/carb prob, if it made no difference check the sparks/timing etc. As above though I would seek confirmation that no damage will be done before trying it.

Last edit: Post by deepfat.

Felix won't start 2 years 2 months ago #198464

Guesswork will be a waste of time. Start by narrowing it down. Take the plugs out and have a look at them. If they are wet, you have an ignition problem. If not, it is fuel.

Felix won't start 2 years 2 months ago #198473

Have you tried to start it again yet:?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Felix won't start 2 years 2 months ago #198474

Have you tried to start it again yet:?

Not yet... It's been pissing down :dry:

Felix won't start 2 years 2 months ago #198478

KILL ME NOW - are MGs linked to the weather or something? Whenever you want to do anything to them it either pisses down, or boils your brains out!

Supposedly it isn't going to rain tomorrow - so I'll get the million 10mm nuts out and cover off and see what's up LOL

Felix won't start 2 years 2 months ago #198481

Storm forecast for tomorrow . Another for Friday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: adamelphick

Felix won't start 2 years 2 months ago #198486

Nipped out to Felix as soon as it looked reasonable earlier. Had to take the WindBreak, T-Bar, Engine cover, Fuel pump plate & air filter/pipe off - deep joy! So many 10mm bolts!

Anyway I sprayed a touch of carb cleaner in the throttle body and he fired up, then immediately died... Hmmm fuel pump - surely not?!

Pulled off the connector and popped my multi-meter across the power wires, turned on the ignition and got 12v.. listened for the reassuring buzz when it first primes and nothing. Weirdly there was a bit of fuel in the upper fuel line when I disconnected the (orange?) push fit connector. I popped a bottle over the pipe and turned on the ignition again and nothing pumped out. I am guessing it should? So I think his fuel pump has given up the ghost?

I had one in the shed, from Fleur (my Amaranth F that died many years ago), grabbed it and BUGGER - it's got a different plug! I suppose the Lucas and Pektron cars have different ones?

Is there a way to test the pump other than pulling off that pipe and seeing fuel? I pushed the fuel cut-off switch just in case it was that but I am assuming not as there was 12v at the pump wires?

Help appreciated before I go and look for a pump! (unless I can splice the old style plug on? Pretty sure I have a loom that will have the correct plug in the shed.

Ta

Felix won't start 2 years 2 months ago #198487

You have 12 volts and no fuel flow. Can you strip the assembly and swap the pumps over?

Last edit: Post by minimax.

Felix won't start 2 years 2 months ago #198488

I'll try and look at the 'old style' pump tomorrow and see how it's put together.... failing that I guess i could pop the old one out and see if anything stuck in it I guess? If he's been sat for ages some crap maybe got in there?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT