Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Thinking of buying MG TF, how to identify models., 2 years 9 months ago #196490

Hello all, I am in the early stages of researching to buy an MG TF for my wife.  Price range up to £3,000 but prefer less.  I understand there were some additional safety and handling features introduced for the 2005 model year. which I believe was the last year of Rover production  How do I identify a model with these updates, worried may buy a 2004 model which was first registered in 2005.  Am I worrying too much about seeking a 2005 model, should I buy a 2003 model at half the price.  Many thanks for any help.  I also use a motorcycle and a motorhome forum so understand how irritating it is when a newbie asks a question then disappears so will my my best not to do that. 

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Baytree.

Thinking of buying MG TF, how to identify models., 2 years 9 months ago #196492

Not sure about any additional safety features in the 2005 models,

ABS and Passenger airbag were options throughout the range, so look for these.

Also worth looking for four pot front calipers which give a marginal improvement in praking performance.

I would advise buy the latest and best condition car you can afford, with as much service history as possible.

VVC engines are more powerful and trophy/limited edition cars are likely to hold their value better

Nothing is certain as cars are at least 17 years old so do all the usual checks on cars of this age.

Head Gasket is not a myth, but if maintained shouldnt be a big concern. Not too expensive to replace, as long as caught before damaging engine.

£3000 should buy a really nice car, but £1500 can buy a very decent car. Under £1000 if you dont mind getting your hands dirty :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Baytree

Re:Thinking of buying MG TF, how to identify models., 2 years 9 months ago #196496

Hello all, I am in the early stages of researching to buy an MG TF for my wife.  Price range up to £3,000 but prefer less.  I understand there were some additional safety and handling features introduced for the 2005 model year. which I believe was the last year of Rover production  How do I identify a model with these updates, worried may buy a 2004 model which was first registered in 2005.  Am I worrying too much about seeking a 2005 model, should I buy a 2003 model at half the price.  Many thanks for any help.  I also use a motorcycle and a motorhome forum so understand how irritating it is when a newbie asks a question then disappears so will my my best not to do that. 

One thing to beware of with later model TF is the company was in decline and had adopted project drive, this meant that a lot of the body protection processes were deleted so rust is a major issue in the newer models, in fact the MK1 F can be less rusty underneath than most TF, of course you may find a garage queen that is in excellent condition but my advice is regardless of what the exterior looks like check thoroughly underneath before parting with any cash.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Thinking of buying MG TF, how to identify models., 2 years 9 months ago #196498

Yes, I have heard of Project Drive, thought it more covered no interior updates, old style switch gear etc.  Sad to hear it also covered rust protection.  Hard to find any information on model changes 2002 to 2005.  I understood the 2005 cars had better door crash protection and better brakes.
My wife is six foot tall so this may be a problem, I am 5ft 10 and fit most cars, we drive the same cars and find I do not have to adjust the mirror after her, she seems to have longer thighs so finds she cannot slide the seat back far enough. Is there much adjust in the MG?

Thinking of buying MG TF, how to identify models., 2 years 9 months ago #196500

They are bigger than you think, plenty of leg room although some say the seats are a little high, I'm 5'11 and have no problems.

Thinking of buying MG TF, how to identify models., 2 years 9 months ago #196501

Hi,

I am 6,2 and fit no problem.  Got told by lots of people if I was 6ft or over I would not fit in car, utter rubbish.
The top of the windscreen may be more in your line of sight than you are used to be I never really noticed.

You can get a spring kit to replace the rods holding the bottom seat support that allows the seat base to sag a bit, that can help if needed and it's cheap.

When I got the car, i was worried about leg room.  I put the seat back and drove it 100 miles back home and thought it was a bit tight for the legs but useable.  Later found out I had not actually pushed the seat back all the way and is fine now.  Not as much room as a family car but fine, it is an impractical roadster :).  Not much room for shopping and you will never be the designated driver.  It's best if she actually tries sitting in one but not always possable of course, every body has different length legs, torso etc.

In summery, I am 6tf 2 with long legs and fit fine but I don't drive long distances in it and never need more than three bags of shopping in the boot.

Iain.

Last edit: Post by TwistedPuppet.

Thinking of buying MG TF, how to identify models., 2 years 9 months ago #196510

Well she has now sat in a couple of TFs,  sadly they did not suit her, felt too enclosed.  We have now put a deposit down on 2004 VW Beetle Cabriolet.
Many thanks for all your advice,   so I suppose this is goodbye 

Thinking of buying MG TF, how to identify models., 2 years 8 months ago #196512

De gustibus non est disputandis.

Thinking of buying MG TF, how to identify models., 2 years 8 months ago #196525

Hi and welcome and good bye :(

For anyone who finds this thread on a search....

The 2 main differences on the 2005 models that I know are that the rear plastic screen was replaced with a smaller glass one and that the suspension was replaced with "soft ride" suspension which vastly improved the ride, earlier MGTFs can be fitted with OE spec "soft ride" at £350ish for parts plus fitting (I fitted my own).

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT