Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Cambelts in real life 4 years 2 weeks ago #192969

Cambelts have come into sharp focus this year as have three vehicles which 'should' need them.
First the TF. Replaced at 18, 600 miles as part of a mis-diagnosed HGF (long story) and now showing only 31, 000. Mileage is obviously
not relevant, but that last change was in 2014, so the réceived wisdom is that it should be replaced on age alone.
However I also have a 15 year old Suzuki Vitara with 86,000 on the clock which we now discover missed its cambelt change(s) and is still on its original, and a friend who has an Audi TT with an at least eight year old belt because he didn't realise there was also an age consideration. Our previous Ducato motor home had a recommended mileage change somewhere around 100,000 as I recall and must have been approaching 10 years old when we sold it. (Our current Ducato recommends 5 years - which is this year!)
So, OK, play safe and so on, but has anyone actually experienced a belt failure attributable to age alone?
What's that black canvas thing behind the seats for?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Cambelts in real life 4 years 2 weeks ago #192971

Yes unfortunately on a 16v Citroen. C5 which I was "told" was done did fix it without removing head as it had sacrificial rockers.But with no way to run engine it was hard to move because suspension. In similar position with two cars that need belts with very low mileage but "old" belts! Waiting for MG kit now then starting other car.

Cambelts in real life 4 years 2 weeks ago #192973

My first TF, with relatively low miles (47000) but no cambelt history, had a belt that was all cracked up, and just waiting to snap.

Glad I changed it when I did.

Cambelts in real life 4 years 2 weeks ago #192978

The cambelt on my wifes ZR160 (same VVC engine as TF160) after about 10k miles and took 8 valves with it.
It was only over due by a few months.

And the cambelt went twice on my Maestro 1.6L long before it was due. I was using the car for driving instructing so it was having a hard life. Luckily there was no valve damage.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Cambelts in real life 4 years 1 week ago #192984

2.0L Cortina bought at a car auction, ended up changing it at the side of the road on a hill in the rain with water running through my clothes, mileage tallied with lack of replacement fortunately on the 2.0L Ford engine there was no overlap between valves and piston

Cambelts in real life 4 years 4 days ago #193071

You are better not knowing about mechanics...years ago I could drive around in cars with knocks and bangs and not give one peep about a cambelt or that leaking rad...but now every creak has to be investigated....a maestro van I drove at work snapped a cambelt years ago...didn't sound too drastic but if I remember right it snapped a cam...and it had a complete replacement head.....a laguna I bought with 78,000 on had no belt history so when I asked someone at work to change it for me....I raced to work with it....new belt and pulleys in boot....ragged it to work enjoying the power of the car my daily driver bein a van wasnt quite as quick....70mph was the recorded speed that morning....come break time the mechanic doing the belt job came in our shop...I heard the banter...flaming eck....the belt was a mass off strands and was in minutes off scrapping my renault engine....these days nothing is ignored...I even check the oil manually and don't rely on crappy electronic dips tick readings....

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT