Sign In   Register

Topic

Re:Ruined my engine on my MG F. Help a novice find a replacement. 3 years 10 months ago #193386

Lots of good luck with the job interview.

If i were you i'd never get anyway near this garage again. Check a mg or oldtimer club nearby. Plenty of people that can help you way better than those amateurs.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Ruined my engine on my MG F. Help a novice find a replacement. 3 years 10 months ago #193387

I would put the mg away for now and self isolate for a while..just too much going on there for a unemployed person to cope with.

Now the lockdown is over I phoned the garage since they hadn't replied to my email. I explained the problem (yellow engine light after a full engine replacement) and that all my OBR reader could tell me was it was an issue specific to the make of car. He replied that he was 99 percent certain that the problem was with the oxygen sensor in the exhaust as OBR readers wont display this specific issue.

He wants me to take it into the garage next week and have it looked at and i'm terrified that i'm gonna now have to buy a new exhaust. What does this mean for me and what should I look out for? Anything I can do before I take it back to him to make sure its the oxygen sensor?

P.s. i've got a job interview this friday, whoop whoop!

Hi where in the country are you based ? Good luck with the interview

Ruined my engine on my MG F. Help a novice find a replacement. 3 years 10 months ago #193390

I'm based in the county of Rutland which is East Midlands. Thanks for the well wishes I'm hoping the interview goes well :D

P.s. I made a spelling mistake in my last post. I meant OBD reader not "OBR reader". Just tested again and can connect but still cant find any fault codes.

Ruined my engine on my MG F. Help a novice find a replacement. 3 years 10 months ago #193391

I'm based in the county of Rutland which is East Midlands. Thanks for the well wishes I'm hoping the interview goes well :D

P.s. I made a spelling mistake in my last post. I meant OBD reader not "OBR reader". Just tested again and can connect but still cant find any fault codes.

I only asked because if you were near me in Coventry I could plug my Pscan in

Ruined my engine on my MG F. Help a novice find a replacement. 3 years 10 months ago #193407

If you have an android smartphone you can buy a bluetooth obd2 reader that you can leave plugged into the port on your car. You can download free an app called 'torque' this, when connected to the bluetooth reader will show you live data from your O2 sensors.

This will let you see if the problem is an O2 sensor. It will also show any faultcodes and allow you to reset the engine management light.
Something like this
Torque ELM 327 Bluetooth BT OBD2 OBDII Car Diagnostic Scanner Code Reader
Buy It Now
David
:shrug:
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Ruined my engine on my MG F. Help a novice find a replacement. 3 years 10 months ago #193420

Now the lockdown is over

LOCKDOWN IS NOT OVER!

It has been eased but it is not over.
Now, more than ever we need to be carful and we need to be sensible.

Good luck with your interview tomorrow.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys, sworkscooper, Fisher

Ruined my engine on my MG F. Help a novice find a replacement. 3 years 10 months ago #193474

If you have an android smartphone you can buy a bluetooth obd2 reader that you can leave plugged into the port on your car. You can download free an app called 'torque' this, when connected to the bluetooth reader will show you live data from your O2 sensors.

This will let you see if the problem is an O2 sensor. It will also show any faultcodes and allow you to reset the engine management light.
Something like this
Torque ELM 327 Bluetooth BT OBD2 OBDII Car Diagnostic Scanner Code Reader
Buy It Now

I use the torque app and a cheap reader similar to that. It finds no faults.

@talkingcars Sorry, misspoke. I meant in the context of car showrooms are no longer in lockdown.

I've just been to my local mechanic, to use his professional bit of kit (before I go back to the garage where the engine was replaced) and he showed me the fault codes (see attached). He cleared the codes and only the vehicle speed sensor issue came back. I know about this problem (speedometer is off by about 4 mph) and i'm not bothered by that. I'm gonna take the car out for a 200 mile drive and see if the engine warning light returns. FYI: the speedo fault code doesn't trigger the engine warning light that's why its currently still off.

Edit: Due to photo compression it makes reading the faults quite difficult. I'm going to list them here as well: p0481, p0480, p0340, p0500, p0420 and p0170
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by djkeenan.

Ruined my engine on my MG F. Help a novice find a replacement. 3 years 10 months ago #193475

Hi
My reply about torque spp was in response to this which you posted earlier

He replied that he was 99 percent certain that the problem was with the oxygen sensor in the exhaust as OBd readers wont display this specific issue.

In fact you can see if your oxygen sensors are working with torque.
With the app connected to the car.

Click on real time information. Find a space on one of thedisplay pages.

Click add display

Click on graph

Scroll down to O2 volts bank 1 sensor 1and click on it.

Choose medium-sized and position graph on the page.

Repeat for O2 volts bank 1 sensor 2

Now you should see graphs when the engine is running. Sensor 1 should show a sawtooth line.
Sensor, 2 more of a wavy straight line
This is if your oxygen sensors are behaving normally
David

Ruined my engine on my MG F. Help a novice find a replacement. 3 years 10 months ago #193479

Also speed sensor and speedometer are NOT the same thing!

Speed sensor is a sensor on one wheel, like ABS sensor which detects small variations in speed, mainly used as rough road detection, (about 50 measurements per 1 revolution of the wheel) to tell ECU to ignore odd misfire.

Speedo is taken from sensor on gearbox, and not precise.

Dont ignore faults unless you understand them. Fault codes are telling you something is not right.

Ruined my engine on my MG F. Help a novice find a replacement. 3 years 10 months ago #193496

@David I had no idea that it could do this. Here's the results. First image is of when the adaptor first connected and second image is about 30 seconds after when things looked stable.

@G0RSQ Assumption has made an ass out of me. After reading your advice I did some research here:

https://obd2pros.com/dtc-codes/p0500/

Since my cars a manual I think the real risk is the ABS. The ABS light has been on and off since I got the car. It seems to turn off/on when sharply turning a corner. Have been told that its an MG F red herring and the best thing to do is put some black tape over the light. Might actually giving the red light because of a dodgy speed sensor. Will look into this if the engine warning light comes back on.

My ignorance when it comes to cars is unfathomable. Thank you all so much for all this forthcoming help!

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Bertl. Reason: pics added

Ruined my engine on my MG F. Help a novice find a replacement. 3 years 10 months ago #193498

The graph of sensor 1 should continue as the first few seconds, so it looks as if the oxygen sensor is dodgy.
The garage will be able to unscrew the oxygen sensor out of the exhaust and replace it with a new one.

The speed sensor fault will mean the abs isn't working. As the abs light is intermittent, it may be just a dodgy connection rather than a failed sensor. An abs light illuminated is an mot failure and I don't think putting tape over it is very good advice
David

Ruined my engine on my MG F. Help a novice find a replacement. 3 years 10 months ago #193499

Have been told that its an MG F red herring and the best thing to do is put some black tape over the light.

Always ignore advice like this. This is the lazy mechanics reason not to fix the fault.

Ask on a site like this, as you will get advice, which is checked by lots of other readers to make sure it is good sound advice.

If you have ABS you will have a sensor on each wheel. One of them also gives the input to the ECU called "rough road detection" and I believe is used to tell the ECU to miss random missfires.

Main issue you will get that throws up random ABS alarms is a broken reluctor ring (like a toothed gear behind each wheel hub, that the sensor counts the pulses from when the wheel rotates). They can crack, and become loose on the hub. Inspect each one for rust and damage, and make sure they are secure. Also check sensors are secure. Not that easy to see, but possible.

Last edit: Post by G0RSQ.
Time to create page: 1.158 seconds