• Page:

Topic

MGTF Gearbox 4 years 11 months ago #190510

• g4wam's Avatar Topic Author
  • g4wam
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Hi all,
just wondered if anyone out there in MG land could offer any words of wisdom on the following.

I have what appears to be a clutch slip in first gear except I cant see any increase in engine revs during the slip.
The slip occurs on an incline in first gear .
The car shudders during the slip .
other gears seem to be ok.
the shudder can be reduced by revving up during the first gear start.( like a learner would- say)

does this definitely look like a clutch /flywheel change? or could it be an engine /gearbox mounting?

thanks
Mike

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MGTF Gearbox 4 years 11 months ago #190512

Sounds like your clutch is knackered!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

MGTF Gearbox 4 years 11 months ago #190514

Well , judder and slip can be separate issues but can happen together . Judder is sometimes related to oil contamination of the friction plate , broken springs in either friction or pressure plate . I would rule out the flywheel as it is solid and not dual mass . Slipping depending on the severity should occur in all gears . If you put the car in third and try to pull away from a stand still , a good clutch should stall the engine . As always it's not easy to diagnose a fault from a distance ! :nonod:

MGTF Gearbox 4 years 11 months ago #190515

• g4wam
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
thanks for that analysis-what I can add is that I accidentally overfilled the gearbox a few months ago but i have since drained the box .
took out 3 liters ( max is 2.5 liters drained) and refilled with 2 litres of the correct fluid.
The 3rd gear test as you suggested, behaves just the way you described.
thanks for the comment on the flywheel.
Do think I can rule out engine mounts

Mike.

MGTF Gearbox 4 years 11 months ago #190516

Well I dunno really as you started by saying you had slipping . I think that the o/s top mount has a tendency to part company so it may be worth investigating . I know when I changed the cam belt on my TF the top mounting broke so it is a posibility.
John

MGTF Gearbox 4 years 11 months ago #190525

• g4wam
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
thanks for your replies, I have recently found something pertaining to my gearbox and juddering issue that points to a problem on the o/s engine mount bolts.

does anyone have any information relating to o/s engine mounts and snapped or missing bolts?

I will check this area on my MGTF as soon as I can

Mike

MGTF Gearbox 4 years 11 months ago #190531

…….took out 3 liters ( max is 2.5 liters drained) and refilled with 2 litres of the correct fluid.....

How do you overfill, or underfill for that matter?

With the car level you fill through the filling hole on the side until oil starts to dribble out, that will ensure the oil level is correct.

Do not underfill.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT