Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

It’s an MGF miracle! 5 years 5 months ago #188699

Hi all, had an MGF now for a couple of years, no major issues as yet but then something strange happened. Couple of days ago it wouldn’t start after not using it fir just a few weeks.. tried jump leads, battery booster and charged it overnight, put it down to cold crappy weather and hoped a fully charged battery would be the answer. It fired up then spluttered and died at idle. 8 hours investigating no fix. Battery back on charge overnight and searching on here checked the usual suspects: spark plugs, fuel cut off switch, fuses, leads, electrics... today, it started first time, took it for a run to clear the cobwebs, it stalled a couple of times but reluctantly fired up but was more “chuggy” than usual in that it was pulling or labouring. Engine warmed, I tried a final solution I read last night on this very site (apologies I cannot get to copy and paste thread owner to credit) but it was “resetting the throttle position sensor (TPS)”, with the old 5 presses of the accelerator trick. I then took her for a run to allow everything to settle, topped up the fuel and added some fuel cleaner.

6 hours rest time and she fired up straight away (without having to touch any pedals for the first time ever), it’s like having a brand new car, and not only is the “chugging” better, it’s the smoothest it’s run in the 2 years I had it!

Thank you to those who post on here to give those who know nothing some hope and ideas. It gave me the confidence to open the engine cover and finally see my engine, and helped find not only a solution, but has improved my car.

So now to throw a couple of questions out there in the hope someone can help even more!

I knew when buying an mgf that suspension was never going to be a strong point, but I’ve been told many times I can improve the current setup if I can find someone who does hydragas? Now I tried a hydragas register and must have contacted 20 people on there but never had any luck. So my questions are.. is this what I need? And who can help me with this near Rossendale?

And my final question, last year I replaced a damaged rear window with a second hand one with a river kit from some amazing guys in glossop, sadly I’m the cold weather the rear plastic window “cracked” and has a split (held together by tape). Should I repeat and replace again in the same way, is it worth me replacing the whole roof section too as it’s looking worse fro wear and is riding up at the sides, or should I upgrade to a new roof with better “glass”. Anyone done this and have any recommendations?

Apologies for the long ish post and all the questions from a new guys first post. But wanted to thank for the help so far and the advice going forwards!

G

Please Log in to join the conversation.

It’s an MGF miracle! 5 years 4 months ago #188703

:welcome2:
I guess the guys in Glossop are MGFNTFBITZ.
The fitting of a glass screened hood is the best solution. They can help you with that.
Also I suspect they will be able to pump up hydragas, or know someone who can.:yesnod:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Garethcole2012

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

It’s an MGF miracle! 5 years 4 months ago #188709

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Glass rear screen is the way to go.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

It’s an MGF miracle! 5 years 4 months ago #188710

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Glass rear screen is the way to go.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

It’s an MGF miracle! 5 years 4 months ago #188712

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
Robin ;)

It’s an MGF miracle! 5 years 4 months ago #188717

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
Hi G,

welcome aboard!

as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

It’s an MGF miracle! 5 years 4 months ago #188721

:welcome: from John in Yorkshire.

It’s an MGF miracle! 5 years 4 months ago #188725

On the hydrogas front, try Sunny Bank Motors, Grimshaw St, Darwen (01254 703 096). I know these guys & I've borrowed their unit in the past for my f. Give them a bell, I'm sure they'll help; assuming they've still got it.
Mike, from the other side of the Grane.
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT