Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Engine fans 5 years 9 months ago #186852

Hi all
Since having the mgtfi notice the engine fan bay fan on quite regularly.
However of late I notice that it is never on and I can't hear rad fan neither, even during the recent hot weather
The other day in stood traffic they still didn't come on but temp steadily rise to around 3/4 then fortunately traffic started to move and temp dropped to the norm just under half
I have checked all engine bay and footwell fuses all good
I disconnected the sensor wire hear the dipstick and still no fans with ignition on and engine started too
Any ideas please
Cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Engine fans 5 years 9 months ago #186854

The engine bay fan can bet tested by unplugging the engine bay sensor thats located under the rear of the boot lid on the rear hinge panel. Its in a small bracket in line with the dipstick. If was made after April 2005, then it will be controlled by the temperature sensor on the engine block, the same one that turns on the radiator fans(s). Again by pulling this, the fans should kick in.
This sensor is located on the engine block close to the exhaust manifold. If i remember rightly its a brown in colour on the TF. (I think its different, maybe black on the F). The guys on here will correct me if I am wrong.
There is a good article on the How to section that shows the location of all the sensors.
Also this topic comes up regularly, so there will be plenty of useful info if you search for the fault on here.
Link to a how to vid on here... https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/9-mgf-tf-pitstop/55964-oil-temp-oil-light#55969

Sundance

Engine fans 5 years 9 months ago #186862

Thanks Sundance for your reply

I have disconnected the sensor under the boot lid, started the car and no fans run at all.

Not sure where to go next?

Cheers

Chris

Engine fans 5 years 9 months ago #186873

Check the fuses is the next step.
David
:shrug:

Engine fans 5 years 9 months ago #186894

Hi David
Thanks for your reply

I have checked all the fuses they are fine and disconnected the air sensor under the boot lid and no fans run with ignition on or engine started??

Not sure where to go next?

Cheers

Chris

Last edit: Post by Flyingoysters.

Engine fans 5 years 9 months ago #186902

Including fuses under the bonnet as well as under the steering wheel?
Another issue could be siezed or knackered fans. Do the fans turn easily by hand?(ignition off!)
David
:shrug:

Engine fans 5 years 9 months ago #186907

David is right, the fan needs to be free to rotate. If seized, it should blow the fuse though.
If they are free, I would be next checking for voltage on the fan connector with a DC voltmeter, while the sensor is disconnected.
Here is a wiring diagram of the circuit on the later TF's.
The wiring diagrams are brilliant compared to some I have seen, very easy to follow and the wires are all colour coded.

Sundance

Engine fans 5 years 9 months ago #186914

hi -here is a link to the correct way to check fans on MK2 MGTF 2004/2005

Mike

Engine fans 5 years 9 months ago #187190

I am not clear on which fan isn't working.

There is the one at the front of the car that cool the coolant and is controlled the brown or black coolant temp sensor.

Then there is the engine bay cooling fan that is controlled by the sensor just above the coolant header tank.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Engine fans 5 years 9 months ago #187192

Thanks for your reply James

It's both fans now that I cannot hear running, always used to hear at least the engine bay fan.

Cheers

Chris

Engine fans 5 years 9 months ago #187194

You know, I have only ever known my engine bay fan and rad fans to come on once in the three years I have owned the car.....
Again by pulling the respective sensor lead off, it should run the appropriate fan.
Engine bay sensor for the engine bay fan on cars built after April 2004 and Coolant temp sensor for the rad fan on all cars and also the engine bay fan on post April 2004 motors.
If they do not run after this, it will either be one of the following, damaged fan motor, seized up fan or blown fuse.
Shouldn't be too tricky to trace find the problem....oh and check all of your earth connections one each side of the front wings near the front, and in the rear of the engine bay.

Sundance

Last edit: Post by SundanceUK.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT