Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Centre "popper" on the tonneau cover 6 years 1 week ago #185274

Hi guys,

I cannot, for the life of me, get the centre popper to attach when fitting my tonneau cover over my folded hood. I've tried gentle persuasion at differing angles, I've tried brute force and ignorance...Not happening! Is there a knack to it? I've had the motor for a year now (but I work abroad so I've only really driven it a handful of times) :( and I never fit the cover because of this problem and it looks so much neater with it on!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Centre "popper" on the tonneau cover 6 years 1 week ago #185275

Its easy to replace, had to do mine recently, they are available from the usual MG suppliers for peanuts...

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daleswalker

Centre "popper" on the tonneau cover 6 years 1 week ago #185276

Hi Sundance,

Did you just replace the male half (i.e. the bit attached to the car) or did you have to do both?

Thanks for your reply!!

DW

Centre "popper" on the tonneau cover 6 years 1 week ago #185278

Presuming its a mk 2 cover, I fit the sides, then position the apron roll under the opened boot lid. Then drop the boot lid enough to hold the roll in place. Then fix the centre stud and finally close the boot lid. Works for me.:yesnod:

Check that the popper is not damaged by trying it before anything else.
Also make sure the roof is folding down fully. I've seen roofs that sit high when dropped due to twisting of the frame, lack of lubed joints etc.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daleswalker

Centre "popper" on the tonneau cover 6 years 1 week ago #185281

Thanks David,

That sounds like the same routine I use. I can't see any visible damage to the stud but I've ordered a new one from the MGOC anyway. I'll give it a go.

Centre "popper" on the tonneau cover 6 years 1 week ago #185289

I just needed to fit the center stud on the car, the half tonneau popper was ok.

Sundance

Centre "popper" on the tonneau cover 6 years 1 week ago #185296

Simple problem solving exercise? Try this:

The poppers are all the same and there are three of them on the hood/tonneau cover, one in the centre and one each side that fastens just above the lock in the door frame. You should be able to press any of female parts on the cover onto any of the male parts fixed to the car. A simple process of elimination should tell you whether you need to change the fixed male part or the female part on the cover. They look completely standard to me so I am sure that you'll have no problem getting hold of the parts.

Hope this helps.

Bruce.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT