Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

No more spinning gear knob and bluetooth :-) 6 years 1 month ago #184426

For a while now the gear stick on my TF just used to keep spinning around - I got used to it but the wife wasn't that keen so I decided to take action.

Quite pleased with the result. Used my new drill to drill a hole in the what I'm guessing is aluminium, then tapped the hole and inserted an M4 bolt which I cut with a grinding disc on the dremmel. Small step for man but a great step for the spinning gear knob

I have also added an Anker SoundSync Bluetooth adapter - I brought it for a previous car but never used it. it seems to work quite well. Plugged into a USB port in the arm rest, cables running up the centre and plugs into the 3.5mm of the Sony headunit. Now have bluetooth calling and music.

Next step in and out car thermometer and we'll really be in the 21st century
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, talkingcars

Please Log in to join the conversation.

No more spinning gear knob and bluetooth :-) 6 years 1 month ago #184428

Hi Richard,
I have viewed your repair of the spinning gear knob, it may well be an idea to remove the screw and replace it with a 4mm grub screw, maybe 5mm in length. This will serve the same purpose, but will look a lot neater, especially if you can set it flush.

Cheers
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

No more spinning gear knob and bluetooth :-) 6 years 1 month ago #184429

Already got some on the way in the post :-) It was weird this morning, kinda got used to the spinning.

No more spinning gear knob and bluetooth :-) 6 years 1 month ago #184431

Might I recommend a second or even a third grub screw, a single one will not have enough traction under normal use; you will be forever tightening it up. As the thread form is in aluminium it won't take many nips up before it strips.Voice of experience.

No more spinning gear knob and bluetooth :-) 6 years 1 month ago #184432

I have got a pack of 5 on the way so one or two more wouldn't be an issue - also means I get to play with my nifty tap tool again and new drill. I could always drill a very shallow hole in the shaft itself so the grub screw has somewhere to locate if needs be :-)

No more spinning gear knob and bluetooth :-) 6 years 1 month ago #184436

Hi Richard
If you can manage to drill into the shaft, deep enough to take a thread, then tap through the gear knob and shaft in one go and apply the grub screw, then this should do the job. ( the grub screw straddled across the 2 items)
As Airportable suggests, it will be a better repair if aided with a second screw.
Cheers
David

No more spinning gear knob and bluetooth :-) 6 years 1 month ago #184446

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Grub screw 101: for a quick fix, cut a set screw to the required length, cut a slot with a junior hacksaw or needle file, dress with a file or emery and hey. Also presto.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

No more spinning gear knob and bluetooth :-) 6 years 1 month ago #184448

I used some loctite. I holds well for everyday use. if you need to remove the knob then a bit of force will do it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT