Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Is it worth it? 6 years 1 month ago #184317

Hello all,

It has been a while but my MG TF has been off the road since probably late 2016....and for some reason I thought it'd be a good idea to get it back on the road again.

My daily driver is a 3L V6 Petrol Mercedes (great fun..not the same as the MG but still fun).....my daily commute is a 40 mile round trip which makes for an expensive fuel bill but I enjoy the car so I pay the price. Roughly speaking I reckon the MG can do double the fuel economy of the Mercedes so half the fuel cost, plus I have a real soft spot for it after driving through Europe a few summers back and in general it being a fairly reliable car. Maybe all this equates to why it would be good to get it going again.

Now for the conundrum.....the MOT Fail sheet. There are a couple of items on there which are my fault, like the knackered wipers and the missing brake light bulb (borrowed it for the Merc and forgot to put back).

These are the other items:
Offside Front Lower Suspension arm corroded and seriously weakened (2.4.G.1)
rear parking (secondary) brakes imbalanced (3.7.B.6b)
Nearside rear parking brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.6a)
Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)

The suspension arm is a replacement job and I get that as it is an old car. All the others relate to pretty much the same handbrake issue. Trouble is don't know if it is the caliper or the cable.

So here is the breakdown:
MOT: £45
Labour and parts to fix suspension, bulb and wiper: £190
Total: a not so bad £235

£235 + caliper (inc labour)(£145) = £380
(still relatively ok)

£380 + cable and labour(£150) = £530
(not so great).

In my head the car is worth about £500. Trouble is I'm quite fond of it, have a soft spot for it - I've learnt a lot about cars and mechanics in general because of it. Seems a shame to let it go over what isn't really a massive MOT failure. It is a 2002 on 69k but its got a good set of tyres, good engine, cambelt wasn't don't tooo long ago.

What would you guys do? Could the caliper resolve the handbrake woes?

Any insights much appreciated.

Assuming it does get through the MOT at some point this week - would I be worth using a wirebrush on a drill and then some Dinitrol then Waxoyl to further preserve the old girl?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:RE: Is it worth it? 6 years 1 month ago #184318

I would just change the caliper(s) I have had the same issues with my F, never had a problem with the cable, the calipers can be re built but I've had varying levels of success so I have always sourced new or refurb, I bought a new old stock caliper for £90 from mgfntf bitz, you say the value is low but what price enjoyment, especially if you do the job yourself and take pride in your achievement and save money too.

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edit: Post by talkingcars. Reason: Removed quote to save band width.

Re:RE: Is it worth it? 6 years 1 month ago #184323

Thanks for the reply Steve, particularly liked the bit about price and enjoyment. The wife's words weren't too dissimilar : "There is no right or wrong. You have already committed to sorting out the MG, so you might as well do it and enjoy the car"

UPDATE: Just got a call from the garage - they've done the caliper and that has resolved the brake issues....so just the front arm to tackle tomorrow and hopefully this time tomorrow I will have a pass certificate in my hand.

Something I did work out which makes me feel a bit better is that if I'd have brought the parts myself including the test fee I would have spent £263, so a bill of getting on for £400 doesn't seem so bad and the garage have done the hard work, if the car had already got a valid MOT I'd have considered doing it myself.

Re:RE: Is it worth it? 6 years 1 month ago #184333

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Comes down to financials over emotion and maybe pleasure. Many years ago (20+ iirc) I did a ground up resto of a Moggy Minor Traveller. New wood, wings, panels, interior and a cheeky 1275cc twin carb A Series engine upgrade. With suitable suspension and brake upgrades. Etc etc.
Labour of love. Cost? Gave up counting at 4K. Ignored the initial cost of the car.
You could buy a fully restored one then for 2.5k, a minter for 4K.

Sue enjoyed her Vicar of Dibley phase, blarting around the country lanes wearing her Laura Ashley frock (when I wasn't, but that's another tale..) with a basket of flowers for the church. What she told me anyway. Sold it when we went to work overseas for a spell. For 4K.

Comes down to what you wish of life and vehicles I guess. Many times has the insurance job tar pit fire seemed tempting for the TF. It's still here.....for now.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by John and Sue.

Re:RE: Is it worth it? 6 years 1 month ago #184400

Hi John & Sue, I am picking up a maroon Traveller on Friday, must be an MG thing ;)
I have been told tale that as these were on a chassis the main Morris factory could not build them so they were built at the MG plant, so Im claiming MG rights :woohoo:

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Mickle5.

Re:RE: Is it worth it? 6 years 1 month ago #184401

Morning All,

Thanks for your replies. Seems it was all worth it - we're now road legal. Have been driving it all weekend (and gave it a clean and a new air freshner), already done over 100 miles. Needed a new NSR caliper to fix the handbrake issues and front lower arm for the suspension problem. Came in just under £400 including MOT. Not too bad for a 16 year old car. I've still got the skin on my fingers, no broken or sheared bolts on my conscience and 3 hours labour on the bill.

Attachments:

Re:RE: Is it worth it? 6 years 1 month ago #184451

lets see your car then all that money and no pics. shame on you.:slapme:

Re:RE: Is it worth it? 6 years 1 month ago #184459

Here are some photos from when I took the car around Europe in 2016. These photos were taken near the Col de Turini. Enjoy :-)

Attachments:

Re:RE: Is it worth it? 6 years 1 month ago #184461

nice motor :broon: :broon:

Re:RE: Is it worth it? 6 years 1 month ago #184463

Got a new keyring too.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, talkingcars

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds