Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Expansion Caps 6 years 2 months ago #183681

I have yet another crappy expansion cap that let's out a slight hiss..... you wiggle it loose and tight a tiny bit and the hissing stops... these things are really crappy!

So I remembered on my old F 'Meg' I had a Freelander cap instead - it was yellow and all plastic, but I don't remember it ever hissing! There's an eBay link below. I presume there are no drawbacks to using one of these? (other than the extra few mm height causing the flap to not be so flat)

PCD100160 Land Rover Freelander 1 Radiator Expansion Bottle Tank Cap
Completed

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Expansion Caps 6 years 2 months ago #183695

I had a dodgy one of those too!
Agree, even the mgr ones can be dodgy from new now. Probably manufactured in a shed in Shanghai!
David
:shrug:

Expansion Caps 6 years 2 months ago #183697

I bought myself a new cap and when I looked at it I thought how does it let the pressure out as my old one had a v small hole in the top so I drilled the top of the new cap and all was fine
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Expansion Caps 6 years 2 months ago #183699

I replace mine every annual service. Last two I got from Rimmers (no relationship) both have been fine.

Expansion Caps 6 years 2 months ago #183709

I've noticed their are two types of the black one. One is very 'stiff' plastic and seems more substantial, and one is easy to bend on the screw part - The bendy ones are really bad - the stiffer ones seem a tad batter but still not great........ sigh

Expansion Caps 6 years 2 months ago #183714

I bought myself a new cap and when I looked at it I thought how does it let the pressure out as my old one had a v small hole in the top so I drilled the top of the new cap and all was fine

I hope you are joking mate.
David
:shrug:

Expansion Caps 6 years 2 months ago #183717

I seem to recall someone on the Bar trying to substitute the original header tank and cap with another more reliable type , it may have been a VW type . Does anyone remember the thread and what do we all think about it ? I carry a new Rimmer Bros one in my TF but, if they are all a bit shonkey I might get a bit paranoid about it . Well more paranoid than I am already . :omg:

John.

Expansion Caps 6 years 2 months ago #183723

Several people have fitted VW header tanks.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.952 seconds