Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Winter (rain) cover 6 years 7 months ago #180849

Hi,

What's the best (value) winter/rain cover for a TF? You can get really cheap ones off ebay for £7 and if they last one winter, that's good enough for me. But I heard that full covers can scratch the car. Am I better off with just a half cover?

Anyway, any recommendations?

thanks

Nick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Winter (rain) cover 6 years 7 months ago #180868

Things to look for are "fully lined". This is usually a softer material on the inside to protect the paintwork.

Also "Breathable" This allows water vapor molecules to escape out, but prevent water droplets from getting in. Helps prevent condensation.

Also make sure a good fit, or have lots of tie's on it, to stop it flapping around in the wind.

Finally consider using an Indore cover, underneath a waterproof outdoor cover for maximum protection.

The cheap ones are usually just thin polyethylene or PVC sheet, which are waterproof, not very durable and can scratch the bodywork.

Quality comes at a price!

Winter (rain) cover 6 years 7 months ago #180870

More than I wanted to pay, but then I only want to protect the soft top really (and window seals maybe).

Anyone got one?

Nick

Winter (rain) cover 6 years 7 months ago #180876

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/car-covers-tarpaulins/halfords-advanced-all-seasons-car-cover-small

Winter (rain) cover 6 years 7 months ago #180877

I have one of these,thought it was great to start with,easy to fit.

After a years use it faded badly due to the sun,and it has a pvc type lining on the inside,this cracks and splits .
You can see light through small pin holes from the inside,these then let in water,but then does not allow the car to dry.
I have tried to restain and waterproof with soft top products ,but it does not take recolouring as well as a normal soft top.
When I need to replace it I will try this one.

MGF/MGTF half car cover waterproof soft top protector
Completed

As I don't use the car in winter, and it lives outside ,I put the rain cover on,put a cotton throw over the boot and bonnet, put a lined cover over these -

Waterproof Medium M 2 Layer Full Car Cover Breathable UV Protect Indoor Outdoor
Completed

Then put a cheap PVC one on top,using extra ties on both to hold taught,as this prevents scratches.

Inside I place 4 damp absorber crystal packs,which need emptying after a couple of months as they take up well over 2 liters of water from the air .
Come spring the car has no mould or damp and is as good as it was before being put into hibernation.
You don't need to spend a fortune on a cover,as they don't last too long .

Last edit: Post by VX54NEW. Reason: added item

Winter (rain) cover 6 years 7 months ago #180881

If you just looking to protect the hood, then I'd recommend Mike Satur's Hoodmate: http://www.mikesatur.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=398&search=hoodmate We have hoodmates for both of your F's and we find they do a great job of protecting the top and ensuring water doesn't get in
Mark
95 MGF

Winter (rain) cover 6 years 7 months ago #180884

I use these on both my TF's whenever they are parked for more than a few hours.

Sunmate

Winter (rain) cover 6 years 7 months ago #180902

Anyone got any pics of the Stormmate or Summate fitted? Mike Saturs website doesn't do them any justice at all - a tiny little thumbnail that you can hardly see. I'm sure he'd sell more if he took some decent pictures.

Anyway, the one on ebay I liked to from Custom Covers gets poor reviews on Amazon saying that the magnets scratch the bodywork. How does the Sunmate attach?

tnx

Nick

Winter (rain) cover 6 years 7 months ago #180903

Sorry, no picture of either of our cars with one fitted. I suppose I could go out to the parklot and put it on for a photo-op. Also, the Hoodmate is made of the same silver reflective heavy canvas-like material as the Sunmate; it's not black. A friend bought the Sunmate one for F and it too fits the car really well.
Mark
95 MGF

• Page:
Time to create page: 2.761 seconds