Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Gear changing issues 6 years 8 months ago #179574

Hi guys

My ‘99 MG F has started doing something odd. I can’t seem to get it into 1st, 2nd, 5th or reverse unless the car has been moving and warmed up for a bit. I've tried running the engine first but that doesn't allow me to get it into 1st gear, it’s like hitting a wall with the gear stick. I can, with great caution, get it in gear and moving in 3rd and then after a few minutes actually driving it eases up and I can change into the other gears normally although it is still stiff. 3

Any Ideas as to might be wrong?
My thoughts are a clutch problem but I have no issues with the 3rd or 4th gears, only the others.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Gear changing issues 6 years 8 months ago #179576

My Freelander had the same issue,it was a stiff gearbox clutch fork.I did take the gearbox out and fit a new clutch and a clutch arm with a grease nipple .when it warms up I guess the metal expands.
I would also check your oil level in the gear box
The following user(s) said Thank You: chiddy29

Gear changing issues 6 years 8 months ago #179580

Could be a problem with the gear cables.
Check the bell crank at the rear of the car where the cables are connected.

If you search 'bell crank' you should get some useful photos.
David
:shrug:

Gear changing issues 6 years 8 months ago #179583

Hi there-as David is saying the gear cables connect with 2 different actuators under the gear box -one may have become disconnected.
The favourite is the sliding clips on each of the gear cable connections -one may have become dislodged

Mike

Gear changing issues 6 years 7 months ago #180082

For those playing at home it was the clutch slave cylinder, the fact that I had not had the car long meant I didn't notice the change in the clutch peddle feel. Thankfully a relatively easy fix.

All good now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, talkingcars, Airportable

Gear changing issues 6 years 7 months ago #180086

Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes when a question is posed & “Bran Tub” of replies come back, we don't often find which “dibs” ends up curing the problem.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT