Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Locking wheel nuts 6 years 11 months ago #178174

Hi I have just realised I have no key for my locking wheelnuts - can anybody on the forum help? I am near Beaulieu and hoped a local member might be able to pop by and try their keys.If not any ideas? I have hopefully included some pictures of the nuts.
Thanks
Tony
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Locking wheel nuts 6 years 11 months ago #178176

You need to take the nut cap off to see the profile of the locking nut.
Just a quick note, a lot of the MG dealers use the little space in the boot under the boot lock striker ( between the rear lights) to stash the wheel nut cap removing tool and locking nut adaptor - its a perfect size to fit the tool in. Worth a look there if you have not had the car long.

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keeble Kid

Locking wheel nuts 6 years 11 months ago #178178

The chances of finding a member locally with the correct key is slim. I have no idea how many combinations there were on the original nuts, however I’ve just thrown a knackered on away; it was numbered 84. No one pinches MG alloys these days because of the odd PCD, other than maybe another AR owner & my guess is that AR owners have more respect for their fellow enthusiasts. Buy yourself four standard nuts off e-bay & get your local garage to remove the old ones. I can be done with an Irwin “bolt grip” tool & a bit of grunt, I did it last week when some clown used a windy gun on one & wrecked it, it was the number 84.

Locking wheel nuts 6 years 11 months ago #178187

Remove the cap.
Tap on a 18mm hex socket.
Loosen the lock nut until finger tight.
Knock socket off nut.
Bin nut.
Fit so McGard lock nuts - O/E spec on later MGs and widely available (Halfords stock them).

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Locking wheel nuts 6 years 11 months ago #178192

Sorry if this is a dumb response!

The pictures show four wheel nuts, one with a key slot (the locking wheel nut).

This is a "dummy" key slot! :yesnod: No key goes in there.

This is actually a cover that pulls off the actual locking wheel nut. There is a special tool that makes this easy (or less difficult!).

Once this is off then the locking nut is behind it, and you should have a special wheel nut tool (like a socket) that engages with it and enables it to be undone.

If you have lost this socket, then follow the advice in postings above.:yesnod:

peter

Locking wheel nuts 6 years 11 months ago #178194

The special removal tool looks like a tube of black plastic. One end has slots and an internal ridge that is supposed to latch over the cover cap and then you can pull the cap off, then you'll see the actual wheel nut.
On our TFs I've found the black tube with the special socket inside it in the glove box, in the bag with the jack and in the footwell!!
A word of warning the black tubes break easily

Locking wheel nuts 6 years 11 months ago #178195

...... and if you do not have the black removal tool then a pair of thin long nose pliers can just about get a grip and a straight pull should remove the cover.

Locking wheel nuts 6 years 11 months ago #178212

Hi Sundance I feel a right idiot they were there all along!No h/book so did not realise the nut had a false cap, found the tube & removal socket in the boot. Cheers for help.
Tony

Locking wheel nuts 6 years 11 months ago #178213

Thanks everyone as I have told Sundance no handbook with car so I didn't realise locking nut was false,wheels can now be removed! The fun of a new car eh? Back to painting my garage today.
Cheers
Tony

Locking wheel nuts 6 years 11 months ago #178214

Good news there but I'd still change them for the McGard nuts.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT