Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Cleaning and waterproofing hood / MGF carpets? 7 years 19 hours ago #177888

Hi I am new to the forum and would like to know what's the best thing to clean the hood with and what to use to give it a water proofing treatment?Also my drivers side carpet is beyond saving so my question is are all MGF items interchangeable?Will a mk1 carpet fit a mk2, is an item from an auto the same as a manual car?I have also noticed my drivers door has been fitted badly it's tight where it meets the rear wing with a big gap by front wing.The top of the door with the weather seal is proud where it meets the body and the lines do not meet up.Is it best for a 2nd hand door or try shimming the one I have?
At present the MG is covered up in the garage while I paint the walls and looking forward to the nice weather.
Any information is much appreciated.
Thanks
Tony

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Cleaning and waterproofing hood / MGF carpets? 7 years 19 hours ago #177890

Autoglym have a soft top cleaning kit which does the job.
I have been told by a hood expert that it doesn't actually need waterproofing. Even though lots of people do it!

The hood is triple layered with an impermeable membrane in the middle. Rain is supposed to absorb into the top layer and 'wick' away. This reduces drips when you open the doors or drop the windows. Drips are increased by waterproofing the top layer. Pressure washing the dirt out of the top layer is all you need to do.

I suspect people might disagree with the previous but that is what I was told by someone who fits these hoods for a living.:yesnod:

All carpets are interchangeable but the MK2 F /TF carpets are one piece joined under the centre console rather than two in the earlier Fs. ie. Left and right side.

The doors can be adjusted at the hinges. Loosen the three bolts holding the hinge plate to the body. You need to remove the plastic arch liner to get at all the bolts.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keeble Kid

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re:RE: Cleaning and waterproofing hood / MGF carpets? 7 years 19 hours ago #177891

Hi I am new to the forum and would like to know what's the best thing to clean the hood with and what to use to give it a water proofing treatment?Also my drivers side carpet is beyond saving so my question is are all MGF items interchangeable?Will a mk1 carpet fit a mk2, is an item from an auto the same as a manual car?I have also noticed my drivers door has been fitted badly it's tight where it meets the rear wing with a big gap by front wing.The top of the door with the weather seal is proud where it meets the body and the lines do not meet up.Is it best for a 2nd hand door or try shimming the one I have?
At present the MG is covered up in the garage while I paint the walls and looking forward to the nice weather.
Any information is much appreciated.
Thanks
Tony

I have used soapy water to clean the hood and then sealed with fabsil, there are other products specifically for soft hoods that I have tried but none have been better than soapy water and fabsil in my opinion others may disagree, as far as the door, the hinge pin has been known to wear alowing the door to drop so check that first, hold the door and lift up, if it's worn there will be significant movement upwards, all fixable without a new door.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keeble Kid

Last edit: Post by Steve.

Re:RE: Cleaning and waterproofing hood / MGF carpets? 7 years 9 hours ago #177902

I would recommend sealing the hood at least every few years, this is why...
I bought a brand new TF back on 04 and never treated the roof. It was kept outside all of its life without any cover over the hood.
When I part exed it for my current TF it was 11 years old and damp was starting to seep through the middle of the hood after rainfall. There were no holes or anything in the hood, just lost its watertightness.
Now I treat my new TF more like I should and clean, re-colour and proof with Renovo every year, and this year I gave it three coats of dye and two coats of sealer. Looks like new and will last like that until next year.
I you do decide to use a product like Renovo, mask off your windows and paintwork with newspaper first and have a bucket of water and a damp cloth ready to wipe any runs off before it dries. It does come off, but takes a bit of rubbing.

Sundance

Re:RE: Cleaning and waterproofing hood / MGF carpets? 7 years 7 hours ago #177907

I agree with Sundance on this, my Tf roof was quite grey and had been treated with something by the previous owner(s) not very well it has to be said, as you could clearly see lines and brush marks on the canvas.
I also noticed that during my first winter with the car the canvas felt damp on the underside and smelt musty; so I had to do something.
After some research I opted for Renovo and carried out the treatment similar to Sundance, just about did it with half litre bottle of each. Well worth the effort, and the car looks and smells a lot better now.
Definitely recommended, and I should have hopefully prolonged the life of the soft top all for about £23.00.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT