Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

My new engine is in :) 7 years 3 months ago #175571

• SeanJ's Avatar Topic Author
  • SeanJ
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
So, the guys from MG Rover Mobile Mechanics came over yesterday, and despite the temperature being in minus figures all day - and bitterly cold after lunch, they fitted my engine. I'd taken a day off so I could help (tea boy) and learn (I learned a lot including how much knuckles can bleed... thankfully not mine. ) The new one runs like a dream and came in a nice shade of matt black.

We have one small additional issue to sort - whilst the water is circulating the heaters are a bit up and down. So next week that's getting sorted. I can't praise them enough for their work. I'm going to pop over to their gaff at some point and get a scrub/waxoil treatment done.

So this weekend I'll be doing some small jobs whilst I wait. Headlights are getting the restoration treatment (3M kit) , the roof is going to get a scrub, two new door handles going on and I might have a go at fitting the uselful box mod where the ashtray is.

Fun Fun Fun
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by cairnsys.

My new engine is in :) 7 years 3 months ago #175580

I bet those lads had gravel rash after completing that job.....that jack looks well sunken in the gravel:dry:

My new engine is in :) 7 years 3 months ago #175585

So did they split it in to bits and go in through the top?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

My new engine is in :) 7 years 3 months ago #175586

It amazes me that they can do that work under those conditions.
I would never attempt major work on gravel, it just makes it so much harder.
Even jacking the car up turns into a chore, never mind trying to find dropped parts.
Very impressive!

My new engine is in :) 7 years 3 months ago #175587

Way to go Sean, matey. Glad you are well on the way to getting your motor back on the road!

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: SeanJ

Last edit: Post by SundanceUK.

My new engine is in :) 7 years 3 months ago #175590

So did they split it in to bits and go in through the top?

I was wondering that too. Certainly looks like it, doesn't it? What do you need to do to shoehorn it in like that?
Robin ;)

My new engine is in :) 7 years 3 months ago #175594

• SeanJ
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Yea, the head was already off from the last visit, then they "simply" unbolted it all and lifted it out I was impressed. I was expecting them to turn up in a van with a hoist, but no, just 4 arms! They used bolts screwed into the block to act as lifting handles at one end, and the old timing belt at the other.

One other issue was that the timing marks on the pulleys were gone due to corrosion..... so it was done by eye and measuring...and was spot on first time, and I now have some nice tipex marks on there for future reference ( I might cut a couple of slots with the Dremel).

We also found why my sump pan was always slightly oily - there was damage at the bottom of the dipstick housing that was letting a small amount of oil out.

The gravel is a nuisance - at some point I think I'll need a metal detector or a huge magnet on wheels :). For the stands they just moved the stones and I have a decent concrete base underneath. I've jacked the car on the stones and had a couple of " Oh my God" moments when it's moved - mostly when jacking at one side. I also realised that my jack need to be way bigger.... and go way higher, the top of theirs was the size of a saucepan lid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Last edit: Post by SeanJ.

My new engine is in :) 7 years 3 months ago #175615

really impressive

My new engine is in :) 7 years 3 months ago #175626

A 1 foot square piece of 25mm plywood under your axle stands and trolley jacks work well.

The dremel timing marks sound like a good idea.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SeanJ

My new engine is in :) 7 years 3 months ago #175831

• SeanJ
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Well, today saw the final engine problem sorted on the TF - new thermostat, and an oil cooler bypass.

I was able to drive for the first time in about 6 weeks. The car feels great now, seems to have so much more response not it's now pumping sludge around and overheating. Water and oil temp are exactly where they should be and it's nice to be able to sit at the lights without wondering if the engine is going to cut out.

The blowers are toasty hot now too.

So, I want to pop on two tyres.... that said mine are still ok for a bit and I reeeeeally "need" some nice Lexus stylee rear lights. I've also just ordered a new reverse light switch as mine has decided it doesn't want to play anymore..... that's next weeks job :)

My new engine is in :) 7 years 3 months ago #175835

Great that you are back on the road.

My new engine is in :) 7 years 3 months ago #175844

Glad you got it in.Amazed the mechanics can work in this weather.
My fingers were numb yesterday after ten minutes knocking a few tacks in my shed roof.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT