• Page:

Topic

Clutch release lever arm 7 years 3 months ago #175245

• Moze's Avatar Topic Author
  • Moze
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Hi All,
Have noticed that while moving the tf around lately that the clutch pedal is staying / sticking down for a second or two and then coming up . The clutch was replaced during a previous ownership and not too many miles back .
I've read that the release lever arm can go dry from bad design , the clutch get heavy to use etc . which it has and have seen an uprated one with grease nipples etc for sale .
Can anyone tell me if they've done this mod, if it's a reasonably easy job to remove and change or a gearbox out serious job !!
Cheers
Mo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Clutch release lever arm 7 years 3 months ago #175246

In the first instance I would spray some plusgas or similar on the release arm where it enters the housing, this will help the sticking problem, follow it up with a little light oil just enough to lubricate, the plus gas will draw it in. I haven't done the release arm mod although I have one waiting for the major surgery that is gearbox removal but that can wait for the clutch change whenever that is required, all I do yearly is the lube thing and have not had any issues.

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moze

Re:Clutch release lever arm 7 years 3 months ago #175257

• Moze
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Thanks for that Steve, by what I can see in some photos it looks like it's held in place with a bolt from the outside?
Maybe another member on here can enlighten me ?
:-? :-?
Mo

Re:Clutch release lever arm 7 years 3 months ago #175263

Thanks for that Steve, by what I can see in some photos it looks like it's held in place with a bolt from the outside?
Maybe another member on here can enlighten me ?
:-? :-?
Mo

If only! :(
The only way to change the clutch release arm is to remove the gearbox. :pinch:
David
:shrug:

Re:Clutch release lever arm 7 years 3 months ago #175268

• Moze
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Ok and many thanks David,
I've just studied the brilliant Epc diagrams on here of the gearbox and now I can properly see how it's held in place from inside !
Oh well wishful thinking and all that! Plus gas and oil here we come lol !! ;)

Re:Clutch release lever arm 7 years 3 months ago #175269

As a matter of interest, what part is that 'seizes'? That is to say, what are we trying to free up with the plus gas and oil?
Robin ;)

Clutch release lever arm 7 years 3 months ago #175270

Where the arm enters the gearbox casing (bell housing), the steel shaft rotates in plain aluminum.

This is the part that sticks, as the arm is angled downwards slightly into the bell housing, allowing water and dirt to run down it, eventually corroding the aluminum (aluminum oxide)

Only really a problem if car is used infrequently, though regular lubing with thin oil, or spray grease every service helps prevent occurrence.

Also there is a seal on top of the bell housing, to stop this happening. How many people actually change this when the clutch arm is removed?

If it is getting as bad as you say, then be prepared for the clutch release bearing to fail!

peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys, Moze

Clutch release lever arm 7 years 3 months ago #175272

I did this mod when the gearbox was out for a clutch change, Prior to this i was giving heavy doses of plus gas and WD40 to keep the clutch action smooth. Its worth acquiring the part and keeping ready for use when the gearbox has to be removed.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT