• Page:

Topic

First proper run and clear those sill drains. 7 years 5 months ago #174017

• GNK's Avatar Topic Author
  • GNK
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Hi Chaps.
Just had the TF out for it's first proper run after all the work, it was only a blast round town and up the bypass.
BRILLIANT is all I can say and I only took her up to 70mph your honour. (If you believe that you'll believe anything).
Steering in pin sharp and the ride is superb, I would go as far to say that it's as good if not better than my old MGF and it sticks like glue although there is a bit of oversteer out of corners if you boot it.
This is with SPAX shox, Apex race springs and micro flex bushes throughout.
The Spax's are set for 12 clicks rear and 10 clicks front but I've yet to set them up and sort the geometry properly out as it's been lowered.
Rough running and rich fueling was down to two things: a dodgy coolant sensor and dirty connections so in went a new sensor and all the Bosch connectors given a good clean and spray with contact grease.
I'm in electronics and the very best contact spray you can get is Electrolube SGB contact grease 2GX, RS do it in a spray can.

Whilst driving I noticed a lot of sloshing going on and thought it was the fuel in the tank but no, it was water in the left sill.
As soon as I got back I cleared the sill drains and out fell about two pints of clean water so please make sure all the sill drains are kept clear.

And finally here is a picture of the TF. It has the wheels from my old F on as they have brand new Toyo Proxes fitted.

A couple of little things still need to be done.
The wipers are very noisy and slow. I think the spindles are tight so I'll pull the motor out and sort it out.
I do not like the large gear knob, it's horrid but I have a nice ally one to go on, anyone else find that gear knob unpleasant?
The new Rose joints I fitted to the gearbox end of the change cables have made a big difference but there is still some work to do on the gear change assembly itself.
The steering wheel needs moving by one spline clockwise on the rack but other than that, the car drives lovely.
I'm sure there are loads of other things to sort out but at least it's on the road.

Geoff.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Please Log in to join the conversation.

First proper run and clear those sill drains. 7 years 5 months ago #174019

Nice one! :broon:

I remember the weird running water/sloshing sound as I braked at a junction early on in my ownership. Both sills piddled for quite a while after sticking a screwdriver up the drain holes...:dry:
David
:shrug:

First proper run and clear those sill drains. 7 years 5 months ago #174020

Sticking a screwdriver up the drainhole sounds a bit brutally unpleasant to me..............but whatever consenting adults do in the privacy of the own home is OK by me!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

First proper run and clear those sill drains. 7 years 5 months ago #174027

• GNK
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Yeah, but this was outside! and it was bl**dy cold.

I'm surprised it didn't dispense ice cubes.

G

First proper run and clear those sill drains. 7 years 5 months ago #174028

Nice looking TF Geoff . Might be a good idea for me to check my sill drains as I recently cavity waxed the sills through the side air vents so I could have blocked them from the inside out ! :bat: I have sorned my TF today so it is now in hibernation until the spring . Thanks for the tip about the contact spray, that's going to be on my list of things to get for the shelf in the garage. John

First proper run and clear those sill drains. 7 years 5 months ago #174029

• GNK
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Hi John.

Mine was Waxoyled as well, I don't think it was that, that blocked the drains, just dirt that got flung up by the wheels.

Interestingly the front subframe was in a terrible state except where there was some Waxoyl over-spray, those parts were spotless, good stuff then!

Geoff.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT