Sign In   Register

Topic

Re:What job do you do to pay for your MG 8 years 10 months ago #160530

Controls engineering for a IGT casting company, previously Rover Controls Engineer mainly in Paint shops helped design plant that made the pr3 (MGF)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:What job do you do to pay for your MG 6 years 11 months ago #178252

well today i had the opertunity to work outside....My job today was to repair a crane which had a engine in it that i built earlier this year.....it appears that the owners have overheated it .....my investigation has now took place....The temperature strips were high,oil burning smell from exhaust and oil leaking from crank oil seals.

The crane has 2 engines....1 main engine and a smaller one to cope with the hydralic pumping duties.
The main engine which i built and will be repairing in situe is a 1300 litre daf 6 cylinder.....The engine is very high up in the chassis so i will be working on the roof of the crane.

Attachment not found

After draining of oil and water ...i began the the first stages of the repair...remove water rail,induction,exhaust and turbo....remove heads,remove sump,take out pistons,using hydraulic puller to remove pressed in liners...head bolts will be a bitch to un do because these are lock and sealed in to stop water rising up threads has the bolts enter water galleries.

Attachment not found

pain in the backside when you drop a spanner and ther aint any comfy places to sit has there is a lot going on in the bay..being careful not to break anything.

it takes over 3 days to get the engine out so repairing the engine like this makes it a quicker option....ill post more pics has i go on for those that like this type of thing...just hope the rain keeps off hey!....:lol:.....

Mast not even extended..only raised for engine access....great for bungy jumping from at its most extended.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys, sworkscooper

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Re:What job do you do to pay for your MG 6 years 11 months ago #178258

I'm a shunter for a well known diy company. Not allowed to give free advertising but they sell screws and they fix things if you know what I mean!!!

Re:What job do you do to pay for your MG 6 years 11 months ago #178281

{pictures may take sometime to add )content will be added bit by bit
Day 2 of the daf engine repair....noting the temp strips i fitted to the engine its a dead cert this engine has been hot....

Attachment not found

So off came the rocker boxes to reveal a electronic jake brake..

these aid braking by opening the exhaust valves after the compression cycle...these were unbolted and i removed the rockers,crossheads,injectors and push rods...off with the heads

Looking into the bores it was confirmed by the scores that the engine had a grab on all six.
1st head was a bit tricky lifting it over the cavanous engine bay so the 2nd was lifted using a forklift driven by sam.

So the fun now begins underneath the crane...job now to remove the sump ready for piston removal.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, cairnsys

Re:What job do you do to pay for your MG 6 years 11 months ago #178284

After removing all the sump pins...shock horror. .the sump would not clear the crossmember... trapped between the oil pump and the crossmember with little chance of coming out...I had a plan...unbolt the engine from the front mounts ....and l then bolted a lifting eye to the engine block and lifted it the 2 inches I needed for clearence

Off came the sump but before I could undo any bigends ...the network of oil fead pipes from the pump.

All the pipes successfully removed I cleared up and went home.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

What job do you do to pay for your MG 6 years 11 months ago #178340

Friday at last and 7am I'm under the crane removing the bigend caps from the conrods..I then removed the bigend shell from the conrod and tapped the pistons out using a hammer and brush stail

Great there out...next job remove
the piston sprayers has the next stage is to attempt honing liners instead of liner removal..these liners are pressed in very tight.
OK only managed to get 4 piston sprayers out has access to sprayers on numbers and number 6 is limited.it's easier to hone the bores without the sprayers in has the honer can make contact and bend them.I had a piece of plastic cut to size at my mates machine shop and inserted it into the bores with the sprayers in place..this allowed me to hone the bores without contact of the sprayers..next pic is down the bore ..note piston sprayer sticking up.

The next pic is the homemade disc inserted into bore.

This disc saved a lot of time.And standing on top of the engine,hitting a sprayer with the honer could chuck me off balance and risk a fall...The bores honed out successfully the scoring was gone and using a dial gauge they sized up perfectly..
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Leigh Ping, cairnsys

What job do you do to pay for your MG 6 years 11 months ago #178355

I am an industrial electrician, working with a skilled maintenance crew at JCB. I am in the ram manufacturing department and work mainly on CNC machinery, industrial robotics, paintlines and assembly line machines. We also have several large friction welding machines, a chrome plating plant and a few induction hardeners.
Here is a little project dropped onto me last week. Design, build install, program and commission a new control panel for an automatic welding machine, to be ready in 8 days!
Mission accomplished, just!

Sundance

What job do you do to pay for your MG 6 years 11 months ago #178357

Found working on the crane a change from the norm..which is mainly hgv and coach/psv...allthough most of the time confined to working in a workshop building engines and the odd trip out around the country to repair engines on site..Before this mid engined crane is repaired i thought i would take a better look at one on youtube....it doesnt lift incredible weights guessing around 2 half tons...but what it does lift can be moved quite a distance.....The crane is a spierings sk599....found this vid on youtube.

What job do you do to pay for your MG 6 years 11 months ago #178364

....it doesnt lift incredible weights guessing around 2 half tons...but what it does lift can be moved quite a distance.....

The answer is at 6 seconds, 9000kg and 50m.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgtfbluestreak

What job do you do to pay for your MG 6 years 11 months ago #178365

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgtfbluestreak

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

What job do you do to pay for your MG 6 years 11 months ago #178392

Got rained off so work on crane was called off today so started to strip a engine for reconditioning..it is of the same type as the crane give or take a few things like the crane has power take off...this daf engine isn't complete but when I've finished it will be a working coach engine
In the afternoon new gasket set and pistons arrived for the crane...the pistons are £300 each.Teflon coated mahle pistons with new rings
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, cairnsys

What job do you do to pay for your MG 6 years 11 months ago #178444

The pistons on closer inspection were not the right type..they were missing the internal cooling pockets for this higher spec engine....so was delayed until Wednesday afternoon...The pistons arrived courtesy of daf and they were quickly installed. ...

Today saw a mixed bag of weather...not wanting to lose anymore time..I had to think of a quick idea for a shelter...After a few ticks of the clock I came up with this.
A linde forklift equipped with fork extensions and a mould I found on the estate...it was a mould for making elevated roofs for vw campers.
It worked well the rain came down and the engine bay was kept dry...progress at last...
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Winko

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT