Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 2 months ago #165457

I fitted a pair of s/s bonnet struts to the F today.

What is required (and hinted at in the instructions by the following subordinate clause: 'however as small number of customers have had to releave the inside of the bonnet over the top of the ball end bolt due to bonnet touching the top of the skip proof clamp.') it is necessary to provide a bit more clearance on the underside of the bonnet where it contacts the ball joint in the wing. I closed the bonnet to the first stop then marked the spot where contact was happening and then with the bonnet open I taped where I was going to hit it then gave it some sharp taps with a nylon headed body hammer (I've been looking for a use for this hammer for over 40 years). Here are the results:

I'm loving these - always been tempted but shy'd away due to the bashing bit!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars. Reason: Over quoting

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 2 months ago #165459

I fancy these too but am worried by the prospect of beating the s**t out of the bonnet. I wonder if another bracket for the wing ball joint to bring it inside and slightly below the wing would work?
Robin ;)

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 2 months ago #165470

I fancy these too but am worried by the prospect of beating the s**t out of the bonnet. I wonder if another bracket for the wing ball joint to bring it inside and slightly below the wing would work?

I suspect that moving the lower ball joint in board will through up other geometry issues. You would be surprised at how little force you need to make a small indenation to the bonnet reinforcing. As I said in the post I used masking tape to preserve the paint and checked the contact area 3 times with the bonnet just resting on the ball joint then I tapped it with my other hand resting on the bonnet top surface. You do need to use something that's not steel and with a small and preferably curved head. The indenations look much bigger in the photos than real life. I probably over did it a bit too but the main point is that the bonnet top surface shows no trauma at all.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 2 months ago #165514

This week I have been mostly smiling in my MG
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Smoothyman.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 2 months ago #165789

Well recently the MG has been lonely in the garage mainly down to my other pass time, we bought a new caravan and went away for the weekend down to Blair Atholl.

Had some lovely weather but now it's back to some MG'ing, I'm away back to work in a few days and have a list of jobs I want to get done before I go as I think the car will be in the Inverness classic car show the day after I hopefully get home! Here was my handy work tonight, will pop it on the car the morrow and see what I think. Might also do the air box and paint the rest of the cam cover black and then pic out the lines also.

Also bought the seat lowering springs not sure if they make much difference to the TF seats but for the sake of £20 odd quid thought it was worth a go.
Thanks

Alan
Attachments:

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 2 months ago #165801

Alan,

I've done the seat lowering springs and they make a small difference. As you are a fairly light bloke try just 2 springs on the driver's seat first.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alans835

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 2 months ago #165806

Some more jobs done this morning new exhaust fitted and the cam cover removed painted and refitted. Will go and fit the seat lowering Spring this afternoon, and give the car a good clean.

Will get a pic of the exhaust tonight.
Thanks

Alan
Attachments:

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 2 months ago #165810

Well after I finished the exhaust I went to start the car, battery was flat I had forgot to put my trickle charger on! :rant: jump started the car and found the battery light wouldn't go off, :bang:. Checked all the relevant fuses which were all ok then checked the voltage when the car was running 11.6v. Hmm it was all pointing to the alternator. Quick call to my local garage and they had one in stock so nipped out and collected it. New alternator is now fitted and the car is running a treat and charging :broon: all In all a busy day on the little car but enjoyed it apart from the dent in the wallet!

Here is a wee pic of the new exhaust chuffed with the look, and it's not noisy on tick over either which works for me seen as soon it will be me and a baby in the car doubt they would appreciate a droning exhaust when they are sleeping.
Thanks

Alan
Attachments:

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 2 months ago #165829

Looks Great!

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 2 months ago #165888

Rich is that your article in the MG enthusiast mag this month? Just had a wee read of it the now, thought that MG looked familiar.
Thanks

Alan

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 2 months ago #165892

Rich is that your article in the MG enthusiast mag this month? Just had a wee read of it the now, thought that MG looked familiar.

Yeah, I thought someone should make a bit of a fuss about the MGF reaching 21 this month....I get fed up reading about MGB anniversaries in EMG.

Richard

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 2 months ago #165904

Just finished jacking mg up to find where exhaust is blowing, to find it is the flexible section where is best to get one? Toyo sport okay?

Time to create page: 0.280 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT