Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

AP Caliper Pin stuck! 10 years 2 months ago #138387

Well - I decided to leave work early today and try and swap the AP pads on Felix.

Got all my kit ready and then tried the top pin on the drivers side - absolute pain in the ass - the end all squished but at least it came out! However the lower pin would not budge at all. I tried everything. It broke the mini-drift I made up from an old hammer drill bit!

How the hell do I get it out? I soaked it with releasing fluid, warmed it a little - still woudlnt budge and I was worried about bashing it any more as I had scratched up the hole! GRRRR

Any help appreciated.... plus I assume I now need new pins anyway?

I popped the old pin back in and gave up when it started raining. :nonod:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

AP Caliper Pin stuck! 10 years 2 months ago #138389

Had exactly the same problem when I replaced my pads for the first time, I thought it would need a new caliper.

Someone on .org told me simply to get a bigger hammer.

I ended up cutting down a drift of the right diameter so that there was only about 5mm of drift sticking out of the handle (to try and concentrate the impact) and an engineering hammer figuring I had nothing to lose, and it still took some sweat and cursing to shift it but it did come out in the end.

I always use copper grease when putting new pins in now and they come out ok.

Life is its own answer, accept it and enjoy it day by day. Live as well as possible, expect no more." - Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles ...

Re:Re: AP Caliper Pin stuck! 10 years 2 months ago #138390

Had the same problem myself. I cut the middle section out which halved the resistance when drifting it out. But you need a good long drift for the second bit.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

AP Caliper Pin stuck! 10 years 2 months ago #138392

Thanks guys - I also read after googling that you can grab the pin with molegrips and wiggle it... so might give that a go if it doesn't rain over the weekend (which of course it will!).

AP Caliper Pin stuck! 10 years 2 months ago #138410

The problem I experienced in this situation was caused by the build up of crud/corrosion on the exposed length of the pin, rather than the ends within the holes.
So as soon as you try to knock the pin out it jams solid in the hole.
I used strips of emery paper to clean up the pins along their length before covering in release fluid. They came out without trouble.
David
:shrug:

AP Caliper Pin stuck! 10 years 2 months ago #138412

I had exactly the same problem, as stated it's the sprung collar that seizes up.

I dismantled the caliper, and cut the caliper pin in half, then gave it a good whack after soaking it with copious amounts of plus gas.

Even this didn't move it, I ended up using a pillar drill and drilling out the centre of the collar end of the pin with gradually larger bits, eventually I opened the hole enough to free it, what a swine.

My new pins have been given a light coating of Copperslip on the sprung collar, hopefully no more problems.

Good luck.

Re:AP Caliper Pin stuck! 10 years 2 months ago #138418

Thanks all. Will try later if the rain goes away!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Re:AP Caliper Pin stuck! 10 years 2 months ago #138453

Well I had another go earlier. Ended up taking the bloody caliper off as the pin wouldn't budge!
But... Even on the bench it still wouldn't come out. I tried the tip of getting mole grips on the pin, then tried to swivel it... No movement at all.
Decided to split the caliper then couldn't find my allen keys! My star sockets were not tight enough to risk so I had to put it all back together again! Grrrrr. Getting fed up now.
Think I'm gonna have to buy some Allen sockets and split the thing as I just can't see it coming out. Plus think I need new pins?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

AP Caliper Pin stuck! 10 years 2 months ago #138468

I have had the same problem I used the mole grips clamped it as tight as I could then used a screw driver or small leaver against the mole grips and eventually it came out. I have also cut it in 2 before, this helps when your using a punch as ur not loosing all shock through the length of the pin.
Thanks

Alan

Re:AP Caliper Pin stuck! 10 years 2 months ago #138469

Plus think I need new pins?

Yes you'll definitely need new pins as they will have compressed in length and expanded in width whilst you've been trying to hammer them out.

AP Caliper Pin stuck! 10 years 2 months ago #138471

Well I am off to visit family in Malaysia on Thursday so I'll get new pins on order for when I get back, and then split the calipers.

Thanks to all who have answered with advice.

May as well paint them up too while I am at it - something that should have been so easy has typically turned in to a total ball ache!

AP Caliper Pin stuck! 10 years 2 months ago #138525

Yes, I was amazed, just one of my pins had stuck, but it only came out after drilling it out until there was no metal left on the pin.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT