Sign In   Register

Topic

Have I bought a lemon, or a bargain!? Newby! 10 years 6 months ago #133137

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX
I've just put a list of the entries from the Hydragas register , ripped from a cached copy of the site so no idea of the accuracy

http://www.the-t-bar.com/en/forum/9-mgf-tf-pitstop/90366-hydragas-register#133136
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: sp

Have I bought a lemon, or a bargain!? Newby! 10 years 6 months ago #133211

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks chaps ;) :broon: . When I've some free cash I'll look into this. Looking at the car, it undoubtedly needs attention.

Have I bought a lemon, or a bargain!? Newby! 10 years 6 months ago #133221

:welcome:
Glad to see some else taking on a winter project.
Good luck :broon:
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Have I bought a lemon, or a bargain!? Newby! 10 years 4 months ago #137353

Thanks! It's not often I get a good deal on a car. The dealer does but not me...... :broon:

£400 sounds like a good deal - enjoy.

:doh:

Well as I am also new and also on the 75/ZT forums thought I would chip in as am ina similar boat. last weekend in a fit of madness bought a Tahiti Blue Mk2 MGF with no tax or test that had been sat unused since July 2012. It looked quite good but very grubby and the grime was hiding some horrors. The vendor did say that the front sub frame was rotten ............................. true. He also said the alternator belt snapped also true. What he missed out was that the alternator was burnt out and seized and the belt fried.

Since getting the car home in the dark last Saturday I have discovered that there are no screws holding the discs in place. Some are plain missing others are sheared off. However I hope that this is the bottom of the dip and it will starting climbing out of the dip soon. After despair at the prices for the clear front indicators I struck lucky and found a S/H one for £15. As it's from a forum sponsor over at org I hope it should be a good one.

So chin up and get stuck in .

BTW I gave £250 for mine but it will cost three times that before it's done ........................................... but I WILL know what has been done and how it's been done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Have I bought a lemon, or a bargain!? Newby! 10 years 4 months ago #137357

Welcome aboard Plezier. :broon:

Feel free to create a build log type topic with pics here if you like. Folks like the before and after projects as they progress. :yesnod:

Have I bought a lemon, or a bargain!? Newby! 10 years 4 months ago #137358

The car sounds typical, Once you have the issues sorted you will have yourself a nice car for a reasonable outlay.
Look at this way, Your 400 quid has bought you a hobby! Most service items and issues on the F/TF are straightforward and easy to deal with, most parts are cheap and are available new and used and there is lots of advice and how-tos available online.
Have Fun! :drive:

Have I bought a lemon, or a bargain!? Newby! 10 years 4 months ago #137370

Plezier :welcome: :welcome:

It is worth while to get one right. I got a cheap one with a blown head gasket and just slowly but surely worked towards getting it going. It had some problems I wasn't aware of and I wasn't sure what to do at times. I made a few mistakes :yesnod: :bang: but I got there in the end regularly using google and the how to's here. I took my time and tried to get it spot on.

http://www.the-t-bar.com/en/forum/9-mgf-tf-pitstop/90250-blue-project?limitstart=0&start=15

Now I am driving it everywhere and loving every minute of it. It even goes on picnics :bust:

[IMG]ht[/img]
Attachments:

Have I bought a lemon, or a bargain!? Newby! 10 years 4 months ago #137383

Thank you.

Today through another forum I secured a replacement set of head lights and an alloy throttle body to replace the plastic one fitted as original.

Thought I was getting on with things but now I find out that rain is leaking in and setting off the alarm. The roof needs reproofing that's for sure and the seals need looking at. All doable it seems but at the moment I still feel like it's one step forwards and two back.

Perhaps I should have twisted the chancellors arm more and gotten more budget and bought a better one. Of course I could stop, break this one and get the money back so spend on a better one I suppose :bang:

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT