Sign In   Register

Topic

Have I bought a lemon, or a bargain!? Newby! 10 years 5 months ago #132973

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello folks,

This is my first ever thread as a newby so go easy on me!!

We as above, just bought a cheap MGF MKII and am beginning to worry if I should have waited and saved up for a much newer later model TF.

Its a 1.8 in Platinum Silver with an excellent water tight roof, part service history, a solid good running engine (no sign of HGF), nice interior with dry footwells and fully working electrics.

The bad bits are the rust in all the usual places, side vents, boot, sills and wings. Its filthy inside and out. Surface rust everywhere else. The MOT has the following advisories: two tyres with uneven wear, corrosion to subframe front and rear, broken rear reg plate. And the steering pulls all over the shop which I'm hoping may be the dodgy power steering thing! Oh and brakes need sorting all round. Apart from that it's a beauty! :oops:

So before I start spending lots of money on it, it it actually worth it? Or could I get a better car without these problems for the same cost of doing it up? I know that these things are subjective but I would really appreciate some honest answers!

I intend to work on the car over winter in time for use next summer. Unfortunately am mechanically useless but can work my magic with trim and interior parts etc. Also I'm on a very tight budget as I have a wife that hates cars and a lovely day to day runabout Rover 75 Tourer with a thirst for petrol and a fetish for expensive parts every month! :coat:

So if you have any suggestions as to whether the car should be sold, scrapped or burnt :nonod: then please do. Although I'd dearly love to keep it and run it.

Thanks everyone :beer:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Have a bought a lemon, or a bargain!? Newby! 10 years 5 months ago #132976

:welcome: if you don't enjoy working on cars you perhaps would of been better off buying a newer one . Sounds like you are already regretting buying an MGF that requires work I think it costs more to do one up than it does to buy one in good condition in the first place :(
Work to live don't live to work.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Have a bought a lemon, or a bargain!? Newby! 10 years 5 months ago #132977

:welcome: :welcome:
[IMG]ht[/img]

Have a bought a lemon, or a bargain!? Newby! 10 years 5 months ago #132980

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for the welcome! :)

Do enjoy working on cars, I'm just not very skilled! I can do a mean valet but I would love to learn how to repair them. Never serviced a car for instance, but have always wanted to learn.

Would dearly love to keep the car, but I understand what you mean about buying a newer one.

Have a bought a lemon, or a bargain!? Newby! 10 years 5 months ago #132982

I've got a 03 TF160, had it coming up for 2 years. When I first bought it I climbed underneath and was shocked at the amount of rust on the subframes, brake pipes etc.

Think the earlier F's had better underneath protection, so it doesnt follow a newer car will be less rusty.

If the engine, gearbox seem OK it might be worth cleaning up the subframes and painting up, something I will have to do sooner rather than later.

Not so sure about the body rust, but it doesnt look too bad, just if you can live with rubbing it down, treating the rust and spraying. Or panel/paint shop quote might not be too expensive and will give a better finish.

But to keep the costs down you will have to get the overalls on and follow the useful "How To's". Garage rates will kill it.

The cars are so cheap, its a matter of how much you want to put into them to keep them on the road. I went to buy a £1000. one but that had gone, they had another one 3 times as much, that the wife said, "better to buy a good one, cheaper in the long run". So I did. But..............still rusty underneath, just had it MOT'd and passed after replacing the two front subframe mounts. Originals just flaked away to nothing. Can recommend Brown and Gammons uprated ones.

So its really down to you and the love and cash, you want to throw at the car, if it grabs you, or not!!

:welcome: by the way, plenty of help on here, if, or when you need it. :beer: :beer:

:drive: :drive: :drive:

Last edit: Post by petetf160.

Have a bought a lemon, or a bargain!? Newby! 10 years 5 months ago #132983

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
...as John and Pete said.

But you'll find a lot of useful 'HOW TOs' here in the forum, and even more help from really nice people.

as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Last edit: Post by Bertl.

Have a bought a lemon, or a bargain!? Newby! 10 years 5 months ago #132984

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :broon:

Thanks Pete, thats just what I wanted to hear! Been wanting one of these cars for so long now that I stupidly dived in for this one. However at £400 I couldn't really resist. Although my wifey isn't too chuffed as I spent ALL our savings doing it. However on the plus side my two year old LOVES it as much as me!!! :drive:

I've got a 03 TF160, had it coming up for 2 years. When I first bought it I climbed underneath and was shocked at the amount of rust on the subframes, brake pipes etc.

Think the earlier F's had better underneath protection, so it doesnt follow a newer car will be less rusty.

If the engine, gearbox seem OK it might be worth cleaning up the subframes and painting up, something I will have to do sooner rather than later.

Not so sure about the body rust, but it doesnt look too bad, just if you can live with rubbing it down, treating the rust and spraying. Or panel/paint shop quote might not be too expensive and will give a better finish.

But to keep the costs down you will have to get the overalls on and follow the useful "How To's". Garage rates will kill it.

The cars are so cheap, its a matter of how much you want to put into them to keep them on the road. I went to buy a £1000. one but that had gone, they had another one 3 times as much, that the wife said, "better to buy a good one, cheaper in the long run". So I did. But..............still rusty underneath, just had it MOT'd and passed after replacing the two front subframe mounts. Originals just flaked away to nothing. Can recommend Brown and Gammons uprated ones.

So its really down to you and the love and cash, you want to throw at the car, if it grabs you, or not!!

:welcome: by the way, plenty of help on here, if, or when you need it. :beer: :beer:

:drive: :drive: :drive:

Have a bought a lemon, or a bargain!? Newby! 10 years 5 months ago #132988

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis

Try to clean the seats with shaving foam. Far better and cheaper than upholstery foam.

;)
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Have a bought a lemon, or a bargain!? Newby! 10 years 5 months ago #132990

:welcome2:
David
:shrug:

Have a bought a lemon, or a bargain!? Newby! 10 years 5 months ago #132991

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
You mean those aren't MGR Monogram stains on the seats-the salesman told me that those were a £50 option! :P

Perfect I've a can of really nasty shaving foam in my cupboard that was going to the big bathroom bin in the sky-Thanks!! :broon:

Try to clean the seats with shaving foam. Far better and cheaper than upholstery foam.

;)

Have a bought a lemon, or a bargain!? Newby! 10 years 5 months ago #132992

These cars can be both a project and a pain. Fortunately, you have a 75 that works to fall back on. As with all cars, when they're working well they're great. :yesnod:

:welcome: aboard the good ship T-Bar. :broon:

Have a bought a lemon, or a bargain!? Newby! 10 years 5 months ago #132998

:welcome: welcome aboard, stay with the F, for fear of starting an unwanted debate on here, they are far better than the slightly dumed down TFs. Like yourself I tinker with all things apart from engins and breaks, those are foe experts, I read the how to's and managed most tasks, these little cars aren't to hard to figure out and tinker with. Good luck, look forward to seeing the results next spring! :welcome:

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT