Sign In   Register

Topic

whats your plans this weekend 11 years 1 month ago #111232

I will now be polishing out the scuff marks where I parked Ali's Jag a bit too close to my TF :(
Back with front wheel drive and 181HP at the wheels :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

whats your plans this weekend 11 years 1 month ago #111243

Bugger, with the high aussie$ it would work out around the $1000 instead of $1700..........

Forgot to take of the 20%VAT.
I am forced to go the suplex way as the gap becomes $1000 cheaper than the Australian bit of kit. I might grow to regret this choice but $1000 is 4 new tyres.
Okay they will be Kuhmo ECSTA V70A a sticky track day tyre

But add the cost of a set of new Gaz adjustables to the Suplex price - whatever you can get for a set of standard F shocks.
David
:shrug:

whats your plans this weekend 11 years 1 month ago #111246

The GAZ shocks should not be that expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I am using the F less and less as an everyday road car, I had not driven it in eight weeks, okay I was overseas. The original shocks were replaced at 4 years and 80000KM so if these last a couple of years, I should have the funds to upgrade.

whats your plans this weekend 11 years 1 month ago #111249

True I think a new set is around £220.
The main point is that I would hate you to go for the Suplex kit and then have to go through the drama I did with them. From Oz.

I think those that have found the Suplex OK are people who drive smooth roads, Motorways, big A roads etc. Or people who are happy(or are able to drive around) with a low ride height 330mm.
For me driving crappy B, C and unclassified roads, I needed seasickness pills!
from what I've heard Ozzie roads are not brilliant so...

Fitting the Gaz adjustables has given me a proper handling car again.
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

whats your plans this weekend 11 years 1 month ago #111268

My plan for the weekend isn't going so well, daren't take the hard top off and get half way through fitting the new fabric to only have to fold it up half fitted.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

whats your plans this weekend 11 years 1 month ago #111308

So far I have changed the timing belts, tensioner and water pump on the VVC.
I also pulled the intake manifold to remove my leaky engine cooling manifold
(pinholes). That's some job. I'm glad I didn't try to get it off in one piece!
Today I will be having a go at fitting silicone hoses and PRT and putting it all back together. If things go really well (Yeah Right! :slapme: ) I may install the Toyosports manifold. I also have a set of poly bushings to go on the car but don't really expect them to get on this weekend.

whats your plans this weekend 11 years 1 month ago #111318

Wow, Rich! Busy boy! ;)
David

whats your plans this weekend 11 years 1 month ago #111319

My plan for the weekend isn't going so well, daren't take the hard top off and get half way through fitting the new fabric to only have to fold it up half fitted.

Guess what, I did and I did :nonod:

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

whats your plans this weekend 11 years 1 month ago #111556

True I think a new set is around £220.
The main point is that I would hate you to go for the Suplex kit and then have to go through the drama I did with them. From Oz.

I think those that have found the Suplex OK are people who drive smooth roads, Motorways, big A roads etc. Or people who are happy(or are able to drive around) with a low ride height 330mm.
For me driving crappy B, C and unclassified roads, I needed seasickness pills!
from what I've heard Ozzie roads are not brilliant so...

Fitting the Gaz adjustables has given me a proper handling car again.

I already have fully adjustable shocks fitted, could I not just keep them. The only reason is that my spheres are knackered that I am going to change the suspension

whats your plans this weekend 11 years 1 month ago #111557

I also have a set of poly bushings to go on the car but don't really expect them to get on this weekend.

Once fitted keep an eye on your wishbones, I have had to replace both of mine twice. I think the extra load and stress causes the ends to crack and snap. I have used poly bushes for ten years and 100000KM BUT of very hard use. I would not stop using the poly bushes , just keep an eye on the wishbones near the knuckle end.
There has been nil corrosion on the wishbones as we do not need to put down sand and salt to combat snow.

Last edit: Post by andrewr. Reason: Spelling

whats your plans this weekend 11 years 1 month ago #111598

Had a bit of an eBay result yesterday, managed to get:
2 x boot hinges
2 x complete rear light assemblies
2 x spare rear light covers ( not needed)
2 x complete front hub assemblies with virtually new discs and pads on
1 x near mint mesh windstop with fixings
£20 the lot :-)
Boot hinge fitted, only needed 1
1 rear light swapped over, solved the brake lights flashing opposite to the indicators problem
Windstop fitted
Brakes being done now too.
At this rate, it might even complete trip to Barcelona and back.
Splitter and exhaust fitted too !
Thanks to the "how to's" .... Again
Cars - Making me poor since 1989

whats your plans this weekend 11 years 1 month ago #111619

I also have a set of poly bushings to go on the car but don't really expect them to get on this weekend.

Once fitted keep an eye on your wishbones, I have had to replace both of mine twice. I think the extra load and stress causes the ends to crack and snap. I have used poly bushes for ten years and 100000KM BUT of very hard use. I would not stop using the poly bushes , just keep an eye on the wishbones near the knuckle end.
There has been nil corrosion on the wishbones as we do not need to put down sand and salt to combat snow.

Thanks for the caution. I will keep an eye on the wishbones.
I have had poly bushings on my MPi for a couple of years now. I didn't install the poly bushes on the inboard ends of the wishbones as I didn't want to lower the subframes, and I have been happy with the improvement in handling even with that combination. I may do the same on the VVC and possibly do the inboard bushings later this summer.
So far this weekend I have got the timing belts on along with the water pump, tensioner and a set of Mike Satur's "Engine Saver" cam pulley bolts.
Also got the engine cooling rail changed. That was quite the job having to remove the intake manifold. The old rail was badly corroded with a series of pinholes leaking water. Let's hear it for low coolant alarms!
I am going to have to put off the PRT/Silicone Hose installation for now as I am short the 4-way connector. I thought I had everything but seems I overlooked that one bit-sigh*
I am onto the poly bushings now, right rear is done, and the rest will be done today and tomorrow. One good thing with having a Japanese import is that there is very little corrosion on the suspension and everything comes apart without drama.

Pinholes in the old coolant rail.
New SS rail in the background. :woo2:

Sunday noon update: Car started first time with no leaks :woohoo: Now I just need to bleed the cooling system and I'm done for the day.
I finished poly-bushing the rear suspension this morning and will do the front tomorrow and that will be most of my big jobs for the spring done.

Last edit: Post by Rich in Vancouver.
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT