Sign In   Register

Topic

Well... Flopsy is sick again! 14 years 3 months ago #8795

• alias's Avatar Topic Author
  • alias
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
After leaving Flopsy parked for 5 days, I took her out to get some petrol. (The days she was parked, the temperature didn't drop to freezing.)

As I reversed off the driveway, I noticed that the clutch seemed really heavy, but thought it would get better as I drove.

I got onto the main road, and every time I changed gear, and went back to the accelerator, she suddenly revved 1-2K higher than normal and then dropped back down.

I didn't go for a long drive or anything to see if the problem went away. It was dark, and I needed to get back to where I was staying, so I took her home and sorted out a lift instead.

Any thoughts or advice etc. Is she broken badly? Do I just need to take her for a long drive and it will go away?

It's really sucked not having a car for the week... Each morning, I'm leaving the house at 6:30 and walking two miles to the train station. I'll be back home for the weekend, so really need to make it better if I can!

Please help Flopsy! :grouphug:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Well... Flopsy is sick again! 14 years 3 months ago #8798

Sorry to hear Flopsy is having another stressy. No idea what that could be so I'll just wish her better! :yesnod:

Well... Flopsy is sick again! 14 years 3 months ago #8799

Sounds like the clutch arm is sticking. You can lubricate the arm and work it back and forth. That is often enough to free it off.:yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Well... Flopsy is sick again! 14 years 3 months ago #8801

• alias
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer

Sorry to hear Flopsy is having another stressy. No idea what that could be so I'll just wish her better! :yesnod:

Thank you hun :grouphug:

Sounds like the clutch arm is sticking. You can lubricate the arm and work it back and forth. That is often enough to free it off.:yesnod:

Er, how would an idiot go about doing that?! :whistle:

Well... Flopsy is sick again! 14 years 3 months ago #8803

Er, how would an idiot go about doing that?! :whistle:

Take off engine cover, locate clutch slave cylinder and the arm, grease arm, operate clutch pedal in and out until it frees off. It's better if two people do this - one to pump the clutch, the other to watch the arm and grease as necessary.
I'm sure Clive will have a photo if you pm him.:yesnod:

David

Well... Flopsy is sick again! 14 years 3 months ago #8923

• alias
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer

Take off engine cover, locate clutch slave cylinder and the arm, grease arm, operate clutch pedal in and out until it frees off. It's better if two people do this - one to pump the clutch, the other to watch the arm and grease as necessary.
I'm sure Clive will have a photo if you pm him.:yesnod:

Thank you. I'll have a look at that over the weekend and see if I can make her better :)

Well... Flopsy is sick again! 14 years 3 months ago #8932

OK, here's what I wanted to post, but Photobucket was being a pain!

The corrugated plastic tube, and absorbent material in it, is holding oil/grease onto the relevant part of the clutch arm.

This is a DIY attempt(successful) to keep the clutch arm lubricated and prevent it seizing.:yesnod:
David

Well... Flopsy is sick again! 14 years 3 months ago #8937

• alias
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer

OK, here's what I wanted to post, but Photobucket was being a pain!

The corrugated plastic tube, and absorbent material in it, is holding oil/grease onto the relevant part of the clutch arm.

This is a DIY attempt(successful) to keep the clutch arm lubricated and prevent it seizing.:yesnod:

Thank you very much. Is there any specific grease I should use?

Well... Flopsy is sick again! 14 years 3 months ago #8939

Thank you very much. Is there any specific grease I should use?

Anything, such as engine oil, if you use the DIY thingy. Or you can get a spray can of White lithium grease at the likes of Halfords that is very good. As you can spray it on and it then sets, coating the arm. Then you don't need the DIY effort.
Just don't use WD40.
David

Well... Flopsy is sick again! 14 years 3 months ago #8948

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Sounds a lot like a failing clutch too. Do you get a putrid lingering smell when it does it? Best way to test a failing clutch is to drive up a hill..... if you really struggle to make it, your clutch is probably on its last legs.

I got mine fixed at a local clutch place last summer... can't remember exactly how much it was, but I reckon around £350.

Well... Flopsy is sick again! 14 years 3 months ago #8953

Sounds a lot like a failing clutch too. Do you get a putrid lingering smell when it does it? Best way to test a failing clutch is to drive up a hill..... if you really struggle to make it, your clutch is probably on its last legs.

I got mine fixed at a local clutch place last summer... can't remember exactly how much it was, but I reckon around £350.

sadly sounds like a clutch going to me too... but i know a sticky arm can cause the same symptoms

£350 sounds cheap my best quote was closer to £450... so i did it myself (with a little... ok allot of help from CJJ!)
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Well... Flopsy is sick again! 14 years 3 months ago #8956

• alias
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer

It doesn't sniff bad, and I've never noticed it sticking on hills...

sadly sounds like a clutch going to me too... but i know a sticky arm can cause the same symptoms

£350 sounds cheap my best quote was closer to £450... so i did it myself (with a little... ok allot of help from CJJ!)

£450?! I don't have £450?! Arrrggg!

I've got a friend that is going to try to look at it tomorrow if it stops raining. *fingers crossed*

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT