Sign In   Register

Topic

Well, this sucks.....a lot 11 years 2 months ago #103244

• bacchus's Avatar Topic Author
  • bacchus
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Food, Photography & Little British Sports Cars
As the title suggests, this really sucks great big hairy bollocks's (love that swear filter). I came back to the car after work to discover the high heat here today here has worked its magic on my car. If it is not one thing its another with this bloody car...... :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Does anyone have any recommendations as to a glue to stick the chunk of windscreen that is attached to the mirror mount back into the rest of my windscreen? I was thinking of epoxy anyone suggest anything better? or am I up for a new windscreen?

Craig

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by bacchus.

Well, this sucks.....a lot 11 years 2 months ago #103245

How about the stuff "Steve" uses when he's fixing windscreens, as per the Autoglass ad?

Looks like some sort of resin.

Never seen that happen in my whole entire life! Sun is epic.

Well, this sucks.....a lot 11 years 2 months ago #103246

• bacchus
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
Q: What's the strongest part of an MGF?
A: The Glue that holds the mirror to the windscreen, its even tougher than the glass.......:lol:

Well, this sucks.....a lot 11 years 2 months ago #103250

Omg that's outrageous!!
Don't mean to laugh but wow!

Well, this sucks.....a lot 11 years 2 months ago #103252

When I managed to knock mine off, nothing seemed to work very well. Normal epoxy just softened again when it got hot. I tried glass adhesive but it needs uv light to 'set' but the black surround on the windscreen blocks that.

Then I found a product from loctite which was great, see - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_168190_langId_-1_categoryId_255230

I know it's a long way for you to my local Halfords but thought you might be able to find it close to you. If you really struggle to find something and can wait for the post I'll buy you a pack and send it to Aus
The following user(s) said Thank You: bacchus

Well, this sucks.....a lot 11 years 2 months ago #103253

• bacchus
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
The glass adhesive just might work given the black surround came off to along with a decent chunk of the glass it was attached to. I'll give it a go after all its that or a new windscreen.

Cheers,
Craig

Well, this sucks.....a lot 11 years 2 months ago #103255

The glass adhesive just might work given the black surround came off to along with a decent chunk of the glass it was attached to. I'll give it a go after all its that or a new windscreen.

Cheers,
Craig

Oops, I didn't look closely enough at the picture, I didn't realise it was part of the glass that came away too.

Hope you get it sorted but it does sound like time for a new screen

Well, this sucks.....a lot 11 years 2 months ago #103256

The Autoglass resin used for chip repair is no good for this, really you are looking at a new windscreen which will come with the mirror boss already bonded to the glass.

You may be able to grind all the glass off your mirror boss and reattach to the windscreen slightly away from the damage area with a Loctite Engineers Glue , which has a spray activator and glue , but where the mirror has fallen from will always be a source of weakness and will probably start cracking out from straight away.

Best off with new windscreen, I knew my years at Autoglass would be beneficial one day !
The following user(s) said Thank You: bacchus

Well, this sucks.....a lot 11 years 2 months ago #103260

• bacchus
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
Thanks mate, I have ended up using epoxy to fix the boss back on for a short term fix, but I'll head down to O'brians on Monday so they can order one in.

Craig

Well, this sucks.....a lot 11 years 2 months ago #103261

Wow that's amazing! :omg: Sorry can't offer any suggestions.

BTW in the UK that would fail the MOT test!

My BMW failed for a smallish crack in the black area up by the mirror where it couldn't even be seen by the driver!. The 'tosster' said that because it was in the swept area of the wipers he had to fail it....I was hopping mad to say the least! Not gone there for a test again...

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Well, this sucks.....a lot 11 years 2 months ago #103262

OMG that is bad :(

Can you get a new windscreen via your insurance? Mine was replaced that way and I think it worked out that I paid £50

Well, this sucks.....a lot 11 years 2 months ago #103263

Best way down to O'Briens for a new one, same group as Autoglass anyway, a few of my mates emigrated to them a few years back.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT