Sign In   Register

Topic

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98724

• Whiz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Whiz
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer
Not a nice subject and im doing everything within my power to keep Phoenix going but my hand might be forced.

My feeling is once i've given her up I might not be able to get back into it for a few years unless something majorly changes but the cost of keeping her going on a month to month basis, im kind of throwing myself under the bus.

Just thought id let you guys know :(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98726

What needs to be done to her Adam.
If a jobs worth doing, it's worth overdoing

Last edit: Post by andywatson.

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98727

That doesn't sound good. An F shouldn't cost any more to run/maintain than another car. In fact given the cost of s/hand parts they are cheaper than many.
Touch wood, our car has just run and run and just cost the normal maintenance apart from the mandatory visit from Russell! Couple that with a 38-42mpg average and we're happy.

Saying all that we all know that there are a fair percentage of lemons out there that for one reason or another seem to be a never-ending tale of woe. Only you really know if your car is of the lemon variety.
In that case, and given your three choices, stripping for parts is the cost effective option. Sorning a problematic car will only give you more problems, these cars hate being laid up and respond by seizing the alternator and/or brakes and/or clutch arm.
Selling at the moment for peanuts.:shrug:
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98729

my heart goes out to you because I was in exactly the same position a couple of months back, I had to let mine go and like you its going to be a while before I can get another one. I had one of the lemons David talks about and although I loved her it was the only thing to do to let her go.

Good luck

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98730

Yes braking it for parts is your best bet as you will get twice the££ you would selling it BUT you have a car in bits for months
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98731

Shame to read this, as we all know how much blood, sweat and tears have gone into Phoenix.

As long as structurally the car is sound, everything else can be sorted, but at a cost.

Maybe a chat to MGF Reborn and get his opinion, as he has seen it all and done it.

For me its, "better the devil you know", etc. less you want to cut your losses.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98734

terrible shame, looks a stunning car and you obviously love it, so list up what's wrong and then the boffins on here can give you a balanced opinion.

But as others have stated, breaking is the better return on your money, but a slow dribble of cash rather than a (small) lump sum.

I'm looking at a couple of cars being broken near me, one has hard top, they'll get as much for that as they would for the car as is.

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98736

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
Adam,

Feel bad for you and your predicament. My TF only does very low mileage so is more of a toy than a tool, I have another car for that. But this morning as I was walking to the train station as it was snow-village and didn't fancy doing a George of the jungle and hitting a tree in the TF I had a strange thought...

I wonder how much money I would save if I didnt have the TF and had another cheap crap car. My last two work horses a micra and 106 needed nothing spending in between MOTs and the bare minimum to keep going. But the MGs are a bit more temperamental than that and constantly require TLC.

I suspect though you have spent a lot in modding / upgrades so if you would have stuck to the bog standard things then maybe you might have more cash? Sorry if I sound like a told you so and so don't want to come across like that at all.

If you decided to sell as a whole I suspect you wouldnt get anything near what you have paid out for it. Breaking is a good option but having done one last year Adam you need a garage and a drive to put all the stuff in and lots of time and patient. Ask pysmon as he's rebuilding now and I bet as time goes on he's getting a bigger smile on his face thinking.... My garage and storage will soon be mine....

If you are thinking of breaking the only thing I'ld be interest in is the mk2 cat I gave you? I have a decat but concerned that PC Plod will pull me one day. The plan is to knock the innards out of it and have a decoy decat.

My TF has had a bit of money spent on it, the project list keeps adding up day by day but as I said its a long term project and I don't really depend on it. As it stands I'd be very lucky to get 1200 for the TF and I know I've spent at least £800 on doing bits and bobs. I'd probably get around 450 for the wheels + brakes and exhaust. Another £150 for the interior and so on so adding all the bits together I would get my £1200 back what I paid for the TF but then it still owes me £800.

All the after market parts put together should get you a bit of money back for it but like I said stripping it is a massive job especially getting the engine out and shell moved.

As much as I don't want to say this if times are that bad it could be time to cut your losses and get something else. Or get something dirt cheap and SORN it for the summer, that would be my choice if I was you....

Take your time to think about it before doing anything you might regret.

Just think of all the fun you've had with your waskily wabbit hat in the MG.

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98738

If the car means something to you (which it obviously does) and you have somewhere to store it (preferably dry) then SORN it until you can afford to do the work/run it.

If you're forced to sell then breaking seems to be the way as others have said.
stevecrx
'98 'F, BRG Poverty Spec Edition
Build Thread

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98741

• Whiz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Whiz
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer
Unfortunately ive put myself on a road to financial ruin and its spiralled out of control.
Phoenix hasnt helped with what shes thrown at me, I havent helped myself by what ive done to Phoenix and other events that mean my monthly spend has to be restricted in all areas - and to be honest, ive already restricted most other things :(

What needs to be investigated:-
Car has intermittent starting issues - think dirty / corroded starter as turn key and nothing happens, no noise no mechanical movement. Been better since weather dried a bit.
White Steam / smoke starts about 20 seconds after starting and lasts for a couple of minutes - think thats water getting in somewhere perhaps.
Wheel balancing is necessary - god knows that other issues that might highlight though.

Car tax due this month and so thats a commitment in itself to keep on road, as well as my Resident Parking cost (only £30 i think but...). Insurance is currently £85 a month until May - havent made call about this yet but if i have to pay remaining regardless, i might as well keep her on road. Shes only a weekend driver really now but if something went wrong (again) then id be in trouble.

A friend has offered to let me use his driveway whilst SORN but thinking about whether he'd like half a car on this driveway might actually be a different question! haha

I dont really think theres that much else wrong as Ive had to spend soo much already but me being me, i hate to inconvenience others by asking for help, i dont have the tools, skills or off-road space to do myself and I now dont have finances to pay for upkeep.

Im sorry for blurting out like this but its not just the car id be losing as you guys are a major part of my social life and I dont want to lose that either...

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98742

Im sorry for blurting out like this but its not just the car id be losing as you guys are a major part of my social life and I dont want to lose that either...

I don't think you need to appologise at all. Sometimes it's good to get another perspective on your situation. And people wont stop talking to you because you had to make some tuff life decisions (well, not the ones worth talking to anyway).

Sometimes you have to do the sensible thing, which is hard but ultimately only you can decide what that thing is.
stevecrx
'98 'F, BRG Poverty Spec Edition
Build Thread

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98744

It would be a real shame for us all if you let her go, as we all had many good laugh's when you were doing the exhaust
The exhaust issue sounds more like condensation which most of us get on cold mornings. We really hope you decide to keep her and see how things go in the summer months :frosty: :slapme:

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT