Sign In   Register

Topic

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98746

To be honest it doesn't sound like you have a lot wrong but I do know how things can gang up on you so even minor problems can really get to you,
Is it just the Tf that you are struggling to keep on the road or is it the cost of running a car in general ?
Re. starter motor I have a spare that came of an MPI F if its suitable your welcome to it although I am nowhere near you but perhaps
if someone near you is going on FRL I could give it to them
Gary
The following user(s) said Thank You: Whiz

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by midlife martyr.

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98747

• Whiz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Whiz
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer
It would be the cost of running a car in general i guess although I wouldnt use a car for jolly jaunts and socials as inclined too in Phoenix - plus I could get something more economical for if I did need to drive... but then I dont have money to buy another car so if I got rid, i wouldnt get another car at all.

Gary, thats a very kind offer - im assuming would be suitable if it is the motor itself rather than simply the connetions etc. Until i could diagnose properly though, i wouldnt want to take something off you - and know that I would reimburse you somehow somewhen if the offer was still on the table.

I think i need to make a few calls before making a decision, to current insurer, to potential insurers to see if cost might reduce going forwards - given that is a minimum cost even if i dont use car for the month...

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98749

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
Just one more thing whiz. Last night I reduced a lot of my bills.. House insurance down £60 a month. Broadband down £17 a month. If you can cut down some of the things you have then you might be onto a winner.

The only thing I've not swapped recently is the energy... Maybe EDF could save me a few quid?

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98750

• Whiz
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer
I might have to revisit other insurance (i only have contents) and thats £11.
Virgin I pay £38 for all three services so unless i cancel TV - which I have considered - not much more...

Just phoned Adrian Flux and if I cancelled policy now, id actually get a refund of £23 even though renewal isnt until June so called Peter Best and they cant insure meas car kept on the road and I dont have access to another car as a daily drive... Grr...
Going TPFT would save me £4 a month lol

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98751

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
Oh dear worth a shot then. I cancelled sky ages ago went to freesat and never looked back most things I watch through catchup on the PS3. Just going through my other round of bills to see if I can save some more as mrs is going on stat maternity soon.

I could be in your situation (hope not fingers crossed).

What ever you do decide to do we will all like you just the same :)

And no matter if you have a MGF or TF you can still be a member of the GAY :oops: T-Bar. :broon: :broon: :broon:

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98752

You should try getting your insurance through a cashback website , i took sky through one and got £150 cash back ,took 3 month for it to come but nearly covered the whole years bill.
I have look at my mg insurance through it too and could get £38 back doing it through them .

If you dont know where to start then go to Martin lewis moneysaving expert site all the info's there mate :broon:

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98754

So sorry to hear of this, its never a good time of year and money is becoming an issue for so many people.

White steam on starting is not necessarily a cause for concern, especially in this weather as condensation builds up and evaporates as the engine runs, usually lasts a few minutes and goes. If it were still there after or during a long drive, then there is an area of concern.

If the water levels are not dropping, probably a none issue.

Without a drive or at least private parking, insurance will be a problem, sadly not much you can do there and will be an issue regardless of the car type. One thing a friend of mine looked at was literally car sharing, he and his friend having joint ownership and the car was kept on the friends drive. Bills were split and it did help a lot, but that was for a lotus elan which was also used for show.

The irony I so have the same issue, though not with the TF, which has be every good and pretty cheap for me to run up to now, but with the family workhorse, the Citroen c5. It's going to need work doing but fundamentally the car is sound and has never let us down, but because of insurance and my F being written off (not my fault) it will be over £850 this year, despite having another years no claims on that policy.

I you have exhausted all other options and don't want to break the car, the only other option may be to sell, but as me tend above, breaking could well get you more money in the long run.

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98756

Whizz I am just up the road from you so if all you need is a spare pair of hands give me shout. Not a mechanic but if I have the time be willing to help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: paulsmgf, Whiz

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98762

A lot of good advice there, Andy.

Comparison sites save me a hell of a lot of money, and I get cuddly meerkats(:lol:) for each deal on that website!

The steam in the exhaust is perfectly normal, and if you can narrow down what wheel is out of balance, you only need that one sorted.
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98764

• Whiz
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer
Adam... :p

I just went on the meerkat site - £1250 from Grove something or other, £4300 form Asda :)
Ill be doing some ringing around i think...

And I know I havent had it a winter before but it does cover the area like a thick fog lol

and its the alignment - steers to the left, always has done to be fair...

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98765

• Whiz
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer
Forgot id taken this... I think I was sitting in car for about 5 minutes, blinding a few pedestrians at thessame time

Last edit: Post by Whiz.

SORN, Sell or Break... 11 years 3 months ago #98766

Gah, Spotted it this time...:rofl:

Does it steer left mainly at low speed?
David
:shrug:

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT