Sign In   Register

Topic

Sound proofing 11 years 5 months ago #85332

As some will know... I have sound proofed every panel on my F with 2 mm bitumen sheets

This was heated up with a paint stripper gun and then bonded onto panels in an attempt to deaden the sound

I've done the entire floor, inside the fuel tank area, fuel tank cover panel, every surface inside the cabin, inside wings, doors, boot etc... Entire engine bay

Some areas then have 10mm closed cell foam applied on top.. Front and rear wings have 10mm foam applied

The reason for the sound proofing is I want my car to be quieter on long journeys (euro trips) but also to improve the sound for the new sound system going in..

Was chatting to a guy at the weekend who used to build 'sound off cars'... He reckons I should spray expanding foam into any remaining cavity..

There are loads of cavities.. Sills, rear wings, in the cabin, in boot lid and under side of bonnet..screen surround etc

Anyone done this? All that worries me is expanding foam burns, so if ever I need to do any welding I'm stuffed..

The sills have already had waxoil pumped into them, so as long as i sprayed inside the other cavities first rot shouldn't be an issue

If you tap my panels now they sound like concrete... So happy so far with the results... But expanding foam? Any views?
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Sound proofing 11 years 5 months ago #85345

Cue the comments 'why bother its a soft top'

The hard top is getting the same treatment too... Plus all new rubber seals all round..

Idea is at low speeds 30mph etc that the car is as quiet as possible... The exhaust is being made so that it can be made loud or quiet at the touch of a button... So round town cruising can be nice and quiet... Then top off B road thrash can be loud and sporty...

Mad? Yes I probably am..

Re: Sound proofing 11 years 5 months ago #85351

• Visitor
  • Visitor
well all i can say it your car and your project.im sure when some one at rover said lets build a open top car with metro bits some one in that board room said why bother,
but everything you do is differant,and some of the things people may use on there own cars.so i say good on you allen and keep up the good work.we may well start sound proofing the reborn cars so I will be looking on with interest.
Allen your pushing the boundarys,and improving.the car.the bonnet rams and the soundproofing are two things we as a company like.
You will find allen that when ever you build something there will always be people that have differant ideas.some people love you some hate you.
we have to post the last pictures of anticlus on here next week

Re: Sound proofing 11 years 5 months ago #85360

The boot is so much better with gas struts too...

Sound proofing a whole car ain't cheap.. But hey it's only money lol

You can already hear the difference when you slam the doors... Sounds like a luxury car now.. Sounds solid

Re: Sound proofing 11 years 5 months ago #85364

The expanding foam idea has been discussed as a means of keeping rust at bay in the sills on classic car forums, but the consensus is, apart from the welding at a later stage as you mention, that the expanding foam could still allow moisture to permeate with air trapped in the foam, especially by condensation on the metal surfaces that will then be trapped by the foam rather than allowing it to drain off and with the lack of air movement because of the foam it will remain damp for much longer.

The alternative is to use foam blocks soaked in a rust preservative that is not flammable and that can be removed prior to welding. Older classics often had foam blocks shoved in the C-posts and boot side panel areas, albeit often trapping moisture, hence soaking the foam with something inflammable to reduce the risk.

Re: Sound proofing 11 years 5 months ago #85367

I was thinking providing I used waxoil first then the chances of rust are greatly reduced

Expanding foam is impossible to get out once its in.. So the foam block idea sounds good...

Will have a look about and see what I can find out

Cheers for the input :broon:

Re: Sound proofing 11 years 5 months ago #85400

People get carried away with adding the sound proofing material to cars. You don't have to cover entire surfaces. Only a portion of a panel needs to be covered with dampening material, which will change the resonance frequency of the panel and therefore dampen noise.
Mark
95 MGF

Re: Sound proofing 11 years 5 months ago #85582

A lot depends on the level of sound proofing you want..

The luxury cars I've seen have had extensive sound proofing.. Hence why I opted to cover every inch of my project with sound deadening

You can't have too much of a good thing :broon:

Sound proofing 11 years 5 months ago #85621

I did my car and the hardtop makes a huge difference
Attachments:

Re: Sound proofing 11 years 5 months ago #85623

How much of your car did you do Dan?

I've done every surface inside the cabin, including the complete bulk head behind the dash(made sense whilst interior stripped)

I'm planning on new carpets and underlay set, but may add some damping mat first to the floor area only to kill tyre/road noise

Sound proofing 11 years 5 months ago #85687

So far I've done the hardtop, both doors, the floor pans and rear parcel shelf in dynamat and dynaliner. I intending to get the dash out some time next week. Makes so much difference already though!
It's just not cheap! Your looking around £40 a sheet and I have no idea how many sheets I will have used by the end. Probably 10
Attachments:

Re: Sound proofing 11 years 5 months ago #85690

Tell me about not cheap.. :omg:

I've done everything.. Everywhere..

How thick is dynaliner?

I've got 2mm butyl based product on the floor pan.. But fancy something on top before the carpet and underlay goes in..

Trying to make mine Bently quiet :broon:

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT