Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: Electrical assistance required 11 years 7 months ago #66963

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
OK, dismantled the gearboxes and they are very different electrically, but it is relatively easy to swap everything over.
Tested the hybrid, wired exactly as the original and It all works.
BUT... The casing is still live.:nonod:
David
:shrug:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Electrical assistance required 11 years 7 months ago #66968

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
Next job, after F1 qualifying, remove the motor casing to check for a shorted wire.
David

Re: Electrical assistance required 11 years 7 months ago #66976

And what a qualifying it was, the season is still throwing up plenty of curve balls!

Back to my original post on this subject though, my new one should arrive early to middle of the week, if you want me to strip it and do some photos for you to compare like for like, let me know. I shouldn't think I'll be fitting it till the weekend so plenty of time if needs be

Re: Electrical assistance required 11 years 7 months ago #66983

I bought a used motor and wiper linkages for the grand sum of £15 and fitted it myself. Not a very hard job click here to view the T-Bar How To

I am a self confessed 'unable to do anything' kind of gal unfortunately, at the time it was needs must, had just picked the car up and needed to use it and started P*$$ing down lol, I can only hole as time goes by I can learn how to do things for myself using the how tos, I am very jealous and very much in awe of all you technical minded folks on here,

Re: Electrical assistance required 11 years 7 months ago #66988

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David

And what a qualifying it was, the season is still throwing up plenty of curve balls!

Back to my original post on this subject though, my new one should arrive early to middle of the week, if you want me to strip it and do some photos for you to compare like for like, let me know. I shouldn't think I'll be fitting it till the weekend so plenty of time if
needs be

Great qualifying, really looking forward to the race! :woohoo:

Having opened up the motor and tested everything in sight, I think I'm right in saying( but it's a long time since A level physics) that there should not be connectivity between the rotor and the casing. :-?

Having pulled the brushes off the commutator to discount them, there is still a connection between the casing and the rotor. This can only be through the bearing where the rotor shaft shaft exits the motor and joins the gearbox.:shrug:

I wish I had checked this motor properly before I cut the plug off! :rant: £46 down the Swanny.:nonod: :rant:
David

Re: Electrical assistance required 11 years 7 months ago #67008

Know of someone near Carlisle that has said if I ever need anything electrical done then they have a friend that can do everything! Apparently cut his teeth as a motor electrician, did a stint with motorbike electrics and now has set up for themselves doing vehicle electric "fixes".

Re: Electrical assistance required 11 years 7 months ago #67011

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
David, try checking between each comm segment and the shaft. Should not be a circuit. If you have continuity the armature is a bad 'un.
Just watching Q3 on Sky+. ha ha Sebastian, where's your finger now... :woohoo:
Not a RB fan!
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Re: Electrical assistance required 11 years 7 months ago #67055

Yup I'll second what John said, if its the shaft making it live then unless there's an obvious frayed wire hitting it (which is highly unlikely) your pretty much shafted. You could swap the bearing that's crimped into the end with a none conductive one but it would wear quickly.

I'm all for flogging something as much as possible to get it working but you have to draw the line somewhere..

As to Sebastian's finger, no idea where it is but I do know where his thumb was in Q2, right up his :bust: :woohoo:

Re: Electrical assistance required 11 years 7 months ago #67198

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
Discovered the problem.
Look at the switch diagrams on the MGF

and Freelander

MGF switched earth; Freelander switched live.
David
Attachments:

Re: Electrical assistance required 11 years 7 months ago #67230

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Aha! Makes sense now..... Maybe somrthing to do with the self park?
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Re: Electrical assistance required 11 years 7 months ago #67234

But that doesn't explain the live casing though does it? :-?

Re: Electrical assistance required 11 years 7 months ago #67235

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
There must be something different on the motor pcb because the original rotor is isolated from the casing and so black is live into motor and blue and red are earths via the stalk switch, hence why there is a resistor in one (to give different motor speeds.)

In the Freelander version, the live feed comes from the stalk switch via red or blue wire and earths through black, so black is also connected to the casing to earth it.

So in the MGF all the circuit within the wiper motor/gearbox is isolated from the casing, and earths via the bolts to the body.

This also explains why the gearbox cover on the mgf is plastic, but metal on the Freelander.

To sum up, it doesn't work.:rofl:
David

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT