Sign In   Register

Topic

MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 5 months ago #89003

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
De Tomaso 2011

The connection is ithe company made the xpower sv .

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/bmw-eyes-de-tomaso-brand

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 5 months ago #89009

De Tomaso 2011

The connection is ithe company made the xpower sv .

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/bmw-eyes-de-tomaso-brand

That is one of several links. Its not the one I was thinking of (More recent than the SV). There's also at least one older link.

MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 5 months ago #89013

From Wkipedia

"A prototype of the car was displayed at the 1996 Geneva Motor Show as the De Tomaso Biguà, though it still needed development before it would reach full production. The company required capital to continue, and an initial appeal to the Italian government failed due to the declining health of Alejandro de Tomaso. Eventually, the company approached the Qvale family, who, led by Kjell Qvale, had been a North American importer for Maserati. Qvale agreed to fund the development of the car, with the agreement that the final product would be sold under the De Tomaso brand, as the De Tomaso Mangusta.

At one point, the Biguà prototype car was crashed by a Ford engineer in Modena. The incident damaged a curbstone, and the De Tomaso company was forced to pay a fine to the City of Modena (though the city did not repair the damage until years later.)

In 1997, the Qvale Modena SpA company was established to produce the Mangusta. Bruce Qvale led the project of developing a production facility, which involved the renovation and modernization of a building in Modena."

Therefore de Tomaso did not sell the car to MGR so Ben is not quite right

MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 5 months ago #89014

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
The story behind the new launch of De Tomaso did not end well Click here to view article

There have been several MG Quiz questions based on the De Tomaso line in the past. As I said in the shoutbox Alan I can name at least two directly related to this car and the MGF.

These aside can you work out the MG link Alan is after?

MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 5 months ago #89283

A clue This has more to do with MG Motor than Morris Garages

MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 5 months ago #89302

The rubber bumpers were actually made of steel reinforced polyurethane plastic.

Still researching manufacturer

Yes they were a polyurathene skin fitted onto a steel armature. The last ever batch of skins have been made recently and the moulds have been scrapped. there was a very interesting article in Enjoying MG recently written by the chap that was involved in their production.

MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 5 months ago #89303

Rubber-Bumper MGB: A Sensible Choice

April 5, 2009

The rubber-bumper MGB has been given a bum rap for too long. Our opinion? They make excellent, practical drivers.

When the rubber-bumper MGB was introduced .........

:bang: They were known as the 'rubber' bumper MGB but were produced with Polyurathane bumpers. I guess the 'Polyurathane' bumper MGB didn't have quite the same ring to it. :slapme:

Since you persist in questioning the answer I think you should not only have 25 points deducted but also have to do a forfeit :yesnod:

Suggestions on a postcard please :lol:

Dunlop indeed, yes Chris very funny :P

As we seam to stuck on the manufacturer I'll let you know it was Marley Foam, of Lenham, Kent which produced the Polyurathane bumpers for the MGB.

alanrt54 - your turn. If you're struggling to set a question let me know and I'll post one.

Dont think it was Marley foam who made the bumpers , will check my records from recent report about the last ever ones to be made :spank:

MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 5 months ago #89309

I saw a piece on the last ever new rubber bumpers for the MGB had been produced. Didn't realise they had actually destroyed the moulds. Why?

MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 5 months ago #89521

A further clue This has to do with licensing

MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 5 months ago #89574

I don't go on AROnline too often but it was until your hint and a Google search that I found the link:
http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/news/mg-news/nac-mg/news-nac-picks-up-de-tomaso/

The result of De Tomaso’s financial woes are that Nanjing Automobile Corporation (NAC) has licensed production of the Deauville for a €15 million fee. According to the Cars UK website, no word yet on when the Chinese will get round to building the Deauville, and whether or not it’s destined to be a China-only car or will be exported to the West.

I had looked a few times at various links and seen that in 2011 a Chinese company looked at buying De Tomaso, and then a recent story seemed to suggest that BMW was interested. I assumed these were parallels that might be the link but I guess this is the story you were after.

MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 5 months ago #89642

Glad you got it Martin. I didn't have a further clue to give. You give the link from AR Online whichI was going to give.

I don't suppose that any licensing deal can go ahead in view of the pending court case in Italy, but I wouldn't be surprised if NAC, SAIC or another Chinese company bought the full rights for next to nothing

Last edit: Post by alanrt54.

MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 5 months ago #89652

Be interesting to see how it pans out.

What is this MG?

Once you have identified it's name you will of course recognise that part of the name has been recycled at some much later point.

To complete the question identify three other MG model names that have been recycled from their pre and post-war originals.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT