Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

The Dreaded Tin Worm 12 years 7 months ago #28900

• eagle's Avatar Topic Author
  • eagle
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
While watching St Russell get my baby back to running order ( HGF ) I noticed two spots of surface rust ( on the lower edge of the boot lid ). This made me wonder if anyone has made a definitive list of the points to watch for rust to start. I must admit I had expected for the tin worm to start at the front not the rear.
So everyone were do I look ?

I wish

THe Lone Gunman

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: The Dreaded Tin Worm 12 years 7 months ago #28901

Hi Eagle, personally I've no idea mate. But I put 'rust' in the search box and a million things came up. Some of those look worth a read. ;)

Re: The Dreaded Tin Worm 12 years 7 months ago #28905

On my car I have rust issues at the bottom edge of the rear wings below the intakes. This is probably due to damage caused by improper jacking. The other spots are at the very front corners of the front wings and underneath on the rear edge of the floorpan.

Re: The Dreaded Tin Worm 12 years 7 months ago #28906

• eagle's Avatar Topic Author
  • eagle
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Thanks will check those areas ASAP.

I wish

THe Lone Gunman

Re: The Dreaded Tin Worm 12 years 7 months ago #28907

The only rust spots I've found so far are on the seam where the rear wing joins the central boot area(between the bootlid and the bumper. There are 2 small vertical seams just in from each light cluster. The offside one started to bleb from the inside. I used a Dremel to get back to bare clean metal and repainted. :broon:

Second spot was just to the left of the hi level brake light on the seam.

Usual spots would be all those mentioned - plus sills, indicator side repeaters, around the side vents, and wheel arches.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: eagle

Re: The Dreaded Tin Worm 12 years 7 months ago #28914

Sill join in the centre of the door opening...
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Re: The Dreaded Tin Worm 12 years 7 months ago #28915

• Visitor
  • Visitor
rust areas.
front wings .around indicators,bottom of wing.rear wheel arches.seam on rear boot,remove front wheel arch covers blast with a jet wash and waxoyle same with rear.both subframes will rust before your eyes.one layer of thin paint.

Re: The Dreaded Tin Worm 12 years 7 months ago #28957

On my car I have rust issues at the bottom edge of the rear wings below the intakes. This is probably due to damage caused by improper jacking.

I have this too on mine Rich. I was poking around a couple nights ago and found a nice size hole on the passenger side below the intake at the bottom of the at the wheel arch. This afternoon I'll be preforming minor dog leg surgery, along with putting the POR15 to the driver's side and to the front and rear sub frames.
Mark
95 MGF

Re: The Dreaded Tin Worm 12 years 7 months ago #28960

A couple of months ago there was a rumour that Rimmers is going to have some dog lep repair panels manufactured.
I hope that comes to pass.
On my car it looks like someone had the jack collapse causing damage to the dogleg panels (both sides) An additional clue is that the offside rear wheel had been attacked with a tire iron in a desperate attempt to get a corroded wheel off.

Re: The Dreaded Tin Worm 12 years 7 months ago #28969

I don't really seem to have a problem with rust as I crash regular as clock work and all the repainting keeps it at bay :)
Youtube channel of mods an track pics

http://www.youtube.com/user/busternorris?feature=mhum

Website: http://www.roughluckracing.com/ MG Rover Mobile Repairs Nationwide and Western Europe

Re: The Dreaded Tin Worm 12 years 7 months ago #28970

I don't really seem to have a problem with rust as I crash regular as clock work and all the repainting keeps it at bay :)

:yesnod: :shrug: :bust:
David
:shrug:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT